Is it normal for swelling after a nose job to flare up from time to time with periods of no swelling at all?

I had my procedure done on November 8th and the swelling was moderate up until the first of January, then it subsided, but now it has returned. Today was really bad as far as the swelling was concerned...I don't know why the swelling flared up again. Im scared that I might have smashed my nose in my pillow unknowingly while I was sleeping, my nose still looks amazing but im worried about the swelling.

Inermittent swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1
Recurrent edema (swelling) after rhinoplasty is not uncommon- especially with thick skin. Careful cortisone injection can sometimes help. Follow up with your surgeon to express your concerns.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
The swelling can fluctuate based upon activity and diet among other things.

Followup with your doctor about your concerns.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Recurrent Swelling

+1
Dear DiamondDogs,

Though relatively rare, the noticeable prolonged swelling for 3 months can happen particularly in patients who previously had filler injections, revision surgery, or those who had homograft or implant. Recurrent swelling that is associated with pain on the other hand is most likely an infection, please consult your surgeon.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon