Is It Normal for Sluff to Bleed After It Falls off an Incision? (photo)

Three weeks ago I had a breast reduction. Now at the "T" area under the breasts I have sluff. My Doctor has told me to just spray with peroxide, and cover with dry gauze. The sluff is draining, and tonight, some came off. Then the area started to bleed. Is this ok?

Open Wound after Breast Reduction?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

What you are experiencing is not unusual after breast reduction surgery. The drainage that you are experiencing is also likely to be very “normal”  during this process. This drainage that you are experiencing does increase once the "scab” falls off the area. Some bleeding can also be seen. These areas tend to heal without further intervention (except possible suture removal).

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to advise you.

Healing after breast reduction

+1

It is not at all unusual to have some scabbing and oozing under the breast where all the incisions meet after a breast reduction. Your pictures show an area that looks relatively normal for where some scabbing has occurred. It is not unusual either for there to be some bleeding after the scab comes off. You should continue to follow-up with your surgeon who is in the best position to evaluate your healing. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon