Is It Normal for Saline Implants to Ripple 10 Days Post Op?

I had a breast lift with augmentation done 10 days ago and the bottom of my breasts are rippling. I'm told as the implants settle into the pocket this will go away. Is it normal at this stage to see this?

Rippling

+1

In my experience, it is unlikely for such rippling to completely go away.  Nonetheless, I suggest waiting at least 6 months before considering revision surgery.  Without examining you myself, it is unclear whether it is actual implant rippling, or fluid in your pocket.  In the case of the latter, it will be absorbed.  If you can actually feel the implant ripple, I doubt it will go away.

Saline implants rippling after breast lift (mastopexy)

+1

Ripples and wrinkles usually do not improve with time, especially with saline implants.  It is likely that the saline implants were underfilled, leading to the irregular contours you can now feel.

Wait 3-4 months for scars to mature and consider exchange to modern gel implants. Alternatively you could consider adding saline to the current implants.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Hello

+1
Feeling rippling at 10 days is not typical. In our practice we tell our patients that it takes 6 to 9 months for scar tissue to build and the Rippling should subside...

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Early Saline Breast Implant Rippling

+1

It is unlikely if you are feeling rippling in your saline implants this early that it will go away with time. In theory, you should not be feeling it at this early time if for no other reason than some swelling still being present. This makes me wonder of your implants are placed above the muscle and are adequately filled.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rippling implants

+1

If you have rippling of your implants, it is most likely because you are very thin.  Soem manuevers to improve this is placing the implant under the muscle, changing to silicone if they are saline, addidng strattice or fat.

Is Rippling of Saline Breast Implants Normal 10 days Post Op?

+1

It is not "desired" to see rippling of Breast Implants, but it is one of the normal issues that we deal with when patients have Saline Implants. 
It is normal 10 days post op if you are very thin and have small breasts to start with.  Saline can feel very natural if you have a small implant under the muscle and a relatively large amount of breast tissue and muscle covering it.  But, if you have a relatively large implant and a relatively small amount of tissue (breast tissue and fat) then they can feel and look very fake with visible ripples. 
It is possible that as they settle and as your body makes a capsule around them that the rippling may become less noticeable, but it will likely not go away entirely.  What is unfortunately more likely is that as your swelling goes down, the ripples will probably get worse.  Be patient, follow up with your surgeon and hopefully you will be lucky and see some improvement. 
Good Luck

Dr M

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Rippling with saline breast implants

+1

It is not normal to see rippling with breast implants at any time. But it certainly can happen. The chances will be higher when using saline implants, implants placed in the subglandular position, and in patients with thin skin and inadequate soft tissue coverage over the implants. Unfortunately, the ripping will not likely improve with time if you are already seeing it now. You may want to consider silicone gel implants and pocket conversion if your implants are not already in the subpectoral position. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants 10 days ago

+1

You stated that you had breast implants 10 days ago.  I hope you are following up with your Plastic Surgeon as recommended.  You did not say where the implants were placed, over or under the muscle. Saline implants can show ripples if the patient lacks breast tissue.  If this continues, you may want to talk to your surgeon about replacing them with gel implants.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD