Is It Normal for Rhinoplasty Swelling to Get Worse After First Month?

I got my tip rhinoplasty done 8 months ago. When I went in to see my surgeon for the first month visit, he said everything was fine and that the swelling would continue to go down and I was even worried it would go down too much and that my tip would be too narrow. I remember I had a nose bleed that night and when I awoke the next morning my tip swelled and it hasnt subsided 7 months later. He says just wait. Is it supposed to get worse before it gets better? What could possibly be going on?

Expectations for nasal tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal swelling after rhinoplasty is expected and can persist for a significant period of time.  I tell all my patients that they may have some degree of swelling for 12 to 18 months following surgery.  Most of the time the swelling gradually diminishes.  It sounds like your increased swelling occurred at the time of another event (nosebleed) which could have worsened the swelling.  Typically, this swelling is expected to subside as well.  If there has been no improvement over the past 7 months I would advise visiting with your surgeon to discuss the expected course of improvement.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon