Is It Normal for a Post to Show at the Bottom of a Tooth?

I had a root canal done 2 weeks ago and post put in recently. The dentist filled in my tooth and told me at some point I will need a crown. Now at the bottom of the tooth, in the middle, I can see the post sticking out and when I run my tongue over it I can feel it, I would say 1mm of it is sticking out. I called my dentist and asked if it is normal, the receptionist said yes it is normal. But is it really normal?

Not Normal

+1

The post should not be sticking out, however remember it has a resin filling only which gets worn with use. Please keep in mind that you will need a crown done in order to properly protect the structure of that tooth while avoiding the post to move or have axtra weight on it. Of course a complete diagnose will be proper after Xrays, pictures, etc,

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Concerned about Post in Tooth Showing

+1

It is hard to tell without a photo of some sort.  Nornally a post would be contained with the remained tooth structure.  If it is thin it may well show through.  If you were missing alot of tooth structure it is possible you could feel it.  Sounds like it should be checked by your dentist sometime to be sure all is well.

Donald L. Wilcox, DDS
Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Post showing

+1

This is normal but usually you will cover everything with a crown so you won't see it good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD      CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Post sticking out.

+1

It depends what you are calling the bottom of the tooth?? It would be much easier to tell what you are talking about if you enclosed a picture. What you may be calling the bottom, someone else may call the top??? If you are talking about the biting surface, then you maybe be able to see the post or possibly feel the post. You need to remember this is a temporary phase, and you should not wait too long to get the crown on the tooth. I have seen many teeth fracture beyond repair when no crown was placed after a period of time. 

James Merrett, DDS
Maui Cosmetic Dentist

It is not normal for the post to stick out of the top of the tooth.

+1

Typically, when a tooth gets a post it is because there was significant loss of walls or tooth structure. The post is cemented into the root and a build-up filling material is placed around that post to engage and hold the material in. The post should have been cut to a length just short of the top of the tooth (chewing surface) so that when the filling material is put in, the top of the post is burried under the filling and not visible. It can still be ground down flush with the filling so that you don't feel it with the tongue.

I would recommend to get the crown sooner rather than later. Once a post if placed, the tooth is more prone to fracturing in a way that may not be saved. The crown will reduce the chances of fracture.  

Good luck

Dr.T

Mauricio C. Tijerino, DMD
Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Not normal to feel a post sticking out of a tooth

+1
  1. No, the post should not be sticking out where you can feel it with your tongue. You should go back and have it smoothed off and then have the crown  done as soon as you are able.

Joseph Henry, DDS
Orange Cosmetic Dentist

Post Showing at Bottom of Tooth

+1

The post should NOT be visible, nor should you be able to feel it. Like they told you, however, you should have a crown done which will then cover it all.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist