Normal for pec muscles to get really tight one month post op? (photo)

I had my BA dec 12 and I am exactly a month post op. Every now and then if I carry something a little heavier my pec muscles will tighten and I have to stop doing what I'm doing, massage, take ibuprofen until the tightness goes away. I have sub pectoral implants, 397cc silicone, through the nipple. Is this normal?

BBA

+1
It can be expected as the muscle gets aggrivated by the implants.  You should discuss this with your PS to make sure they are not concerned.

Pec muscles tight after breast augmentation #breastimplants

+1

Yes it is very normal. It can take 3-6 months for the skin and muscle to stretch and become softer. You just want to make sure you stay in close touch with your surgeon so they can examine you often. What you describe I hear from my patients all the time early on.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast Enhancement

+1
Interesting, I got the same call today. Sounds like you over did it a bit. The muscle wants nothing to do with the surgery and it really takes a while for it to settle. If its really bad try a muscle relaxant last resort is botox

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Yes, you can experience pec. muscle tightness after submuscular enlargements.

+1

Greetings,

With increased activity, you can experience muscle tightness or spasm after sub-muscular breast implant placement.  You are early on in the healing process and this should improve over the coming months.

If you do upper body exercises, you can experience this sense of muscle tightness long after your surgery date, as well.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD, DMD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Normal for pec muscles to get really tight one month post op?

+1

Again these post operative issues could be addressed by your surgeon in a simple phone call. In general it takes 3 months to obtain full healing and muscle relaxation..

Tight Pectoral Muscles

+1
It is rather common to have the tissues over the implants to feel tight one moth following a subpectoral breast augmentation, especially when using the chest muscles. They should soften on a weekly basis. By 3 months most patients do not have the feeling that surgery was done. The tissues are soft, and most activity is not painful. Everyone heals differently though.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Muscle tightness post augmentation

+1
It is not uncommon to experience muscle tightness in the first few weeks post sub pectoral augmentation.  This does improve over time.  Hang in there!

Janet Turkle, MD

Tight pecs after breast aug

+1
The symptoms you are experiencing are likely just normal postoperative spasms of the muscles. It may help to avoid precipitating factors such as heavy lifting and to continue anti inflammatory medications. Make sure your surgeon is aware of your concerns. The discomfort will likely improve with time. 
Best of luck 
Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD
Johnson City Plastic Surgeon