Is It Normal for Numbness and Tingling to Start 2 Weeks After Getting a Lower Wisdom Tooth Extracted?

I had my bottom left wisdom tooth pulled about 2 weeks ago. Last night I started to feel a slight numbness in my lower cheek. No pain but it's there and I notice it. Today it's still there, in my cheek and jaw with occasional bottom lip tingling. I looked up infection symptoms and I have none but it is kind of weird that this started 2 weeks after the procedure. I don't have insurance so I can't just go see a doctor whenever. I just need some opinions so that I can make a decision.

+1

Usually the dentist who did the extraction will do follow-up treatment at no charge. You need to be seen, Swelling pressure on a nerve can cause the numbness. Please have this looked at immediately

Santa Monica Cosmetic Dentist

+1

What you're probably experiencing is mandiblar nerve paresthesia, which sometimes occurs because the nerve to the lower teeth, cheek and lip are so close to the wisdom tooth that there was some trauma to the mandibular nerve during the extraction or infection after the extraction that affected the nerve.  This is most commonly a temporary issue and heals over time.  However, IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT  that you return to the dentist or oral surgeon who extracted your tooth for him to evaluate your numbness.  Usually there is no charge for doing this, as most dentists will consider this a normal post surgical visit.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Numbness and Tingling

+1

Although its unusual to have syptoms begin 2 weeks after, it sounds like you have partial parasthesia possibly due to some nerve damage during the extraction.  See your dentist.  Many cases like this resolve withing 6 months - 2yrs.

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist