Is It Normal for my Under Eye to Be Totally Swollen and Vision Blocked After Restylane in Tear Trough? (photo)

I had 1 syringe of restylane in tear troughs yesterday. I felt my right eye swell and told the doctor who assured me that it was normal since there was some freezing med. inside the restylane. About 6 hours later I put ice on it. My right eye felt irritated and my vision was blocked because of the puffiness. I decided to press down on the swelling to help reduce the puffiness or push the puffiness downward. I can now hardly open my eye after about 18 hours after injections! ! What can I do???

Swelling following Restylane in the tear trough

+1

In general, the side effects of Restylane may include:

1) Tenderness around the injection site
2) Redness
3) Light bruising
4) Minor swelling
5) Lumps or bumps

In reference to what your doctor told you, light swelling is normal. However, the swelling you have is not. You need to visit your provider immediately for an evaluation, as it is not normal for the swelling to shut your eye and cause the problems you are having. Please get treatment as soon as possible. I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane and swelling

+1

Swelling after under-eye treatment with any dermal filler is to be expected. I would not suggest you put pressure or massage the product, but to follow up with your provider if the swelling doesn't subside around 2 weeks post-treatment. Using ice at this point isn't necessary, but often a warm compress to the area can help.

Sam Naficy, MD

Is It Normal for my Under Eye to Be Totally Swollen and Vision Blocked After Restylane in Tear Trough?

+1

Any amount of swelling that causes the eyelid to be completely closed after Restylane injection needs to be evaluated right away.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

You need to be seen ASAP by the injecting doc or seek urgent care. A reaction to the injection or the filler is apparent. 

Restylane and eye is totally swollen shut

+1

Please don't press on the Restylane anymore. The filler is soft and the skin in the area area is also soft and thin and you could inadvertently be moving the Restylane around into even worse areas. Second, try your doctor's office and see if he has an emergency number to call. If not, go to the ER and be seen by an eye specialist.The situation isn't good and needs to be assessed immediately by a trained professional.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Restylane and swelling eye

+1

This indicates a true emergency as your eye is shut and therefore you need to go to the emergency room and insist on seeing an eye specialist or ophthalmologist on call. Do NOT delay treatment.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Swelling after tear trough injection

+1

The swelling you are having is very atypical and should be evaluated immediately.  As stated in previous comment, treatment and evaluation should not be delayed!

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Emergent problem from Restylane

+1

The injection may have hit a blood vessel. You should go immediately to your emergency room and be seen by an eye specialist. Don't hesitate.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS