Is It Normal for my Surgeon to Pick off a Scab on my Belly Button? (photo)

I am 3 weeks post op today and I had a full tummy tuck . I went to see my surgeon today and he picked off the scab on my belly button . Is this common for surgeons to do ? Also does my belly button appear to be healing good ?

Doctors do remove scabs at follow-up visits

+1

especially if they are ready to come off.  It cleaner for you, makes it look better and lets your surgeon see the scar.

Is It Normal for my Surgeon to Pick off a Scab on my Belly Button

+1

Your navel appears to be healing without any problems. Surgeons would usually remove any dried blood or serum that accumulates at incision sites. 

All the best. 

It is common to remove "scabs"

+1

Scabs are a result of wound seepage (exudate), tiny areas of tissue death (necrosis) and other common issues.  Surgeons often remove them to allow for more rapid healing and to see the viability of the underlying tissue.  The photo you submitted shows a very normally healing belly button.  So far, so good.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon