Is It Normal for my Nipples to Be Engorged 2 Weeks Post Op?

I went from an A cup and added 475cc's. Weight is 136 at 5'9 1/2". Silicone gummy bear textured implants inserted. I'm on muscle relaxers with no massage advised. The nipples seem more tender and engorged with more of a burning feeling. Sometimes looks like a white ring and bruising of the areola. Is this expected. I also have burning on the sides of my breasts bilat and still fairly numb by the incisions. I am worried about hematomas or some other serious issue. Should I be concerned?

Engorged nipples

+1
All these symptoms sound very typical of the early postoperative period. Things will remain swollen looking for some time, and will slowly improve. The numbness and burning sensation is also quite normal as some nerves were cut and others have been stretched and are "waking up". The best way to make that return to normal quickly is to massage those areas and place slight prolonged pressure on the nipples to get them to relax and not be hypersensitive.

As your body accommodates the implant and stretches to conform to it these issues should start to resolve, but the overall process does take months overall. Best of luck.

Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I find nipples can be engorged for almost 3 months, the reason is that the implant is pushing forward for one and two the ducts get clogged and get backed up

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Symptoms post op breast augment

+1

Your pictures and symptoms are entirely normal for 2 weeks post op. Sometimes the nipples can produce fluid that resembles pus but is just breast milk. These symptoms will gradually get better over time.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Nipple swelling

+1

you look very normal after augmentation. all of your symptoms occur frequently and will probably go away with time

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after breast augmentation surgery

+1

Some swelling is expected after breast augmentation--since nipple tissue is designed to swell and engorge it's not uncommon to see a bit more swelling in this area. Numbness around incisions is normal and feeling should return in a few weeks to months. It looks from your pictures that you are on your way to a very nice result. I always remind patients at my Austin, Texas area practice that patience is key with breast augmentation. Implants take a few months to really settle into place so keep following the recommendations of your surgeon and you will be in good shape. Cheers, Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Nipple swelling after surgery

+1

It is very common to have nipple swelling after breast augmentation, and this can last several weeks.

Nipple Swelling After Breast Augmentation

+1

Hello Samantha,

Your nipple engorgement is mostly your own breast tissue being pushed by the implant towards your nipples.  Because the areolar skin is more compliant than your tight breast skin, it stretches more and looks like it is pouting or swollen.  There is no evidence that you have any real problem like a hematoma.  The changes to your nipple/areolar skin is also due to this pressure, and the the counter pressure of the bra against the nipple.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Nipple Swelling after Breast Augmentation

+1

Some swelling is normal after surgery and based on your pictures, it looks like you are doing well after surgery.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Recovery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The hypersensitivity and “engorgement” sensation that you're experiencing is quite  commonly experienced at this stage after breast augmentation  surgery. I do not appreciate any evidence of hematoma or “other serious issue” in your description or pictures.

Of  course,  your plastic surgeon is in the best position to give you good advice ( probable reassurance) after he/she examines you.