Is It Normal for my Columella to Feel Pinched After Rhinoplasty?

I had a nose job done a couple weeks ago to increase the bridge, lower the tip, and narrow the nostrils. My cartiledge was used for the procedure and I understand it would take weeks, and any where to a year to recover and see the final results; however, my columella area feels pinched and numb. Is this normal? I am mostly concern with the pinched feeling Thanks.

Numbness and "pinched" feeling after rhinoplasty will resolve over time!

+2

Even with closed rhinoplasty, but particularly with open rhinoplasty, numbness or other odd sensations are absolutely normal. Some patients will describe a "pins and needles" sensation, or a stinging/burning sensation, but most simply note some degree of numbness. Sensory nerves are disrupted as the skin is lifted away from the underlying support structures (cartilage and bone) so that the appropriate cosmetic changes (like cartilage grafts and/or reshaping) can be performed. These nerves heal, but can take 6-12 months to do so.

Do not be concerned; this is normal, and may actually change in other ways before things settle down completely. Watch out for frostbite or sunburn over the next year until normal sensation returns. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. It is also not uncommon that one side of the nose is more numb than the other. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case. In certain cases where an implant was used, numbness could be caused by compression against the implant, or if it happens years later, then an infected implant can cause numbness as well.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pinched columella after rhinoplasty

+1

What you describe sounds very normal.  Certainly, the numbness is normal.  The pinched feeling sounds like it is the result of the reshaping of the nostrils.  The main things to consider here are the shape, and the function of the nose (can you breathe ok?).

If your recovery is unremarkable, bring it up next visit.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Columellar Numbness

+1

If you had an open approach, this can sometimes occur.  However, the numbness is usually temporary and will self resolve.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Post-rhinoplasty

+1

Pinching and numbness are just some of the side effects of a recent nasal surgery. This should get better with time.

Columella pinched and numb after rhinoplasty

+1

The columella can feel pinched and the tip is typically numb and stiff after an open rhinoplasty. If everything looks well, you should be fine over time.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Normal Feeling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Areas of numbness are common after a rhinoplasty (and most other procedures). Give it a few months to resolve.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Columella

+1

Numbness to the nose is typical in the post op period. If your procedure was done as an open tip rhinoplasty, your columells would certainly be numb

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Columella Feels Pinched 2 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Sensation is never normal 2 weeks after rhinoplasty surgery, especially if the open technique was used. Feeling will return over the next several months.