Is This Normal for an Incision? (photo)

I'm 6 days post op and it's looks nasty to me and jaggered. I'm getting nervous, I haven't seen the rest of my cut but just noticed the side because my binder was riding up. So is this normal?

Tummy Tuck Scar Appearance

+1

Thanks for the question.

Your scar looks reasonable for the timeline following surgery. It will change considerably over the coming weeks. I would not worry at this stage. Definitively, the scar will take 12 to 18 months to reach a stable state.

gv

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhillscosmeticsurgeon.com/tummy-tuck-surgery-beverly-hills.php

Is this a normal incision 6 days post op

+1

Yes, your incision looks normal at this point in your recovery.  It will look better after a few months when the pleating should start to flatten out, but keep in mind that it can take a year to 18 months for your skin to fully remodel.  If you do have a part of your scar that didn't heal as well as hoped, discuss a scar revision with your surgeon and go from there but until then, don't worry and concentrate on healing.  ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Incision Healing #woundhealing

+1

It does look normal for the stage of wound healing you are in. Expect the scar to take 3-6 months to become smooth. Scars take a year to remodel.

Temporary Pleating

+1

Some temporary pleating of the skin on the side of your tummy tuck incision is normal in the early postop period.  Your incision is likely to improve with further healing. Discuss this matter with your surgeon. Best wishes on your recovery.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Is This Normal for an Incision?

+1

This photo is so close up it is difficult to assist. 

Some amount of "gathers" is expected. At the time of closure the upper incision, which winds up almost a semi-circle is longer than the lower one, which is almost a straight line. In cloth this would be a permanent pleat, but skin remodels and improves. 

For specifics, I think it better to address this question to your surgeon. Best wishes. 

Normal Scar after Surgery?

+1

The picture does show signs of irregularities and scabbing. I also see a small gap. Although it doesn't look great at this time, I recommend that you be calm and see your doctor.

Small irregularities or "pleats" after operations like a tummy tuck are not uncommon and almost always go away with time.

The scabbing will also resolve.

The small gap is unfortunate, but small gaps tend to heal well.

Post operative silicone sheeting will be of help in my opinion.

Follow up regularly with your doctor. I expect all will be well.

Best Wishes

Dr Chris Saunders

West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Is This Normal for an Incision?

+1

Best to do immediate follow up with your surgeon to see and discuss these issues in detail. Best of luck.//

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.