Is It Normal for Implants Not to Have Fully Dropped if Surgery Was in January, 2012?

I went from saline over the muscle implants to silicone under the muscle implants in January. The implants haven't completely dropped and I feel somewhat disappointed with how they look. With the first surgery results were right away, with this one, I'm hoping I made the right decision. Is it normal for the implants to not have fully dropped yet? Please advise

Breast Implants Under the Muscle Can Take 3-6 Months to Fully Drop

+3

Thank you for your question. It is very important to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

As a general rule Breast Implants placed under the muscle take longer to drop to their final position than ones that are placed under the breast gland.

There usually is progressive softening and dropping during the first 3 months so you should be noticing some slow improvement.

In my patients if the position of Sub muscular Breast Implants is too high at 6 months I consider revision.

High implants at 6 months

+1

Healing is different for each individual.  At 3 months there is still a possibility that your high implant position will improve.  Give it more time.  If no results in 6 months you may need to consider an inferior capsulectomy.  

Imlant Dropping After Surgery

+1

It will take longer for the implants to drop in the submuscular position.  Complete dropping has occurred by four months, so discuss this with your surgeon if they have not yet dropped fully.  An "inferior capsullectomy" will correct this problem in the operating room if needed.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Settling time for submuscular implants

+1

The muscle offers more support for the implant than just the skin. It is completely normal for under the muscle to take longer - it may take 3 months or more for implants under the muscle to settle. If you are unsure or have questions, feel free to discuss them with your plastic surgeon. Good luck! 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Submuscular Implants take a variable time to settle

+1

It is possible that your submuscular implants can still drop (especially if you have well developed pectoralis muscles). Aggressive and frequent downward pressure massage and elastic strap on upper pole of breasts are often helpful along with avoidance of upper extremity exercise. Your plastic surgeon will guide you as to the proper time to be concerned

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Slow Breast Implant Settling?

+1

It is not unusual for breast implants to take several months (and even up to one year) to fully “settle”. I would suggest continued patience and follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Submuscular Breast Implant Settling

+1

I would not give up yet on your breast implants settling further. It takes longer for submuscular implants to reach their final position than those placed in the subglandular location. I would wait a full six months before considering any type of revision if desired. I have seen numerous cases where dropping of the implants took longer than three months to occur.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Below the muscle much slower...

+1

Submuscular implants take much longer to settle than implants above the muscle. It may take 4-6 months to see the final result. Be patient and see your physician to check the progess. Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

It takes time for implants to drop

+1
If what I presume is your second set of implants has not dropped at the same pace as your initial set, size could account for it as well as whether you underwent capsulectomy at the same time as implant replacement. It can take six months for the implants to start to settle in.

Robert L. Kraft, MD