Is it normal for breasts to still be sore 7 months after surgery?

I had a breast lift and augmentation in July. I had many problems with split stitches to the point where the incisions only fully healed about 1 month ago. I kept getting surface infections which they treated with antibiotics but the surgeon insisted that there was no infection in the pockets. At one point there was so much pressure in the right breast that a pin sized hole just developed on the underneath side of the breast where puss would come out. At the last visit the surgeon said everything looked fine. I asked him about the pain and he said he couldn't explain it. I have constant pain on the underneath side of my breasts. It feels like someone is continually pinching and pulling on my skin. It keeps getting worse instead of better. Surgeon still claims that there is no infection and sometimes the pain can't be explained. Is there something I can do? It's really painful and uncomfortable.

Postoperative breast soreness

+1

It is unusual for you to have had so much difficulty with the incisions- you may have had a localized infection, or you may have had a bad reaction to the suture material.  In any case, I would expect that some discomfort would accompany the prolonged healing that you are experiencing.  This should subside over the weeks following the complete healing of the scars.  You may have good days and bad days, but the overall progress should be positive.  If the remaining breast itself is not swollen or problematic, I would think things will get better with time.  Regardless, you should be in touch with your surgeon so he or she can help follow this issue and make sure you are improving.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

+1

Without an exam, or at least some photos it is quite near impossible to offer any useful advice. It sounds like you had reactions to the suture material that was used and only now does that seem resolved. 

Sometimes a topical local anesthetic  (Lidoderm, or lidocaine cream) will provide relief while the healing proceeds. 

It is true that pain sometimes can't be explained, but this does seem troublesome enough that a second opinion might be your best bet

Thanks, best wishes. 

Pain 7 months after breast aug

+1

It is unusual to have such a prolonged healing course after this surgery, but it would be impossible to speculate without having seen you first hand.  If you are still concerned, it wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion. But it is possible to have lingering discomfort from regenerating nerves or from the scars.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Pain in breast 7 months after surgery

+1

It sounds like you had a rough post-operative course.  Could you have a persistent low grade infection that then developed into a painful capsule? Best to follow with your surgeon.

Sore well after my breast augmentation, is this normal?

+1

Thank you for your question.  It might be worth while to see another board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion.  You should be doing well by this point and having another person look at things with a fresh set of eyes and a fresh opinion might be beneficial.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pain 7 Months after Breast Augmentation

+1

Pain 7 months after breast augmentation may be something of little concern and may improve.  You appear to have had quite a battle following breast augmentation.  Numerous antibiotic trials are not the usual course.  However, your plastic surgeon is in the best position to answer these concerns, and an implant infection usually gets worse quickly with skin changes, swelling, etc.