1 Week Post-op Mini Tummy Tuck. Firm, Hard Feeling in Stomach - Normal?

I am a week post op from a mini tummy tuck where my plastic surgeon tightened my lower abs and did lipo of my public area. My incision runs from hip to hip. I was laying on my back and putting lotion on my stomach and I noticed that my lower stomach and ab area felt very firm. Is that normal following this procedure?

Firmness after mini-tummy tuck

+2

You can expect to have swelling and firmness after a mini-tummy tuck. This is your body's natural healing process and will gradually resolve. If the fullness is increasing in size, there is increased pain and bruising, your doctor needs to be contacted. 

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Firmness after a mini TT is normal and should go away in 4-6 weeks.  Use your compression garment, and avoid too much activity, and just walk every hour or two.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini tuck and Firmness?

+1

Unfortunately,  it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination.

Generally, it is quite normal to have swelling/firmness up to 6 months post op Tummy Tuck Surgery.. sometimes even up to one year (especially after exercising).   I would recommend that you keep in close follow up with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions.

Firmness after a mini tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

We tell patients that will undergo this procedure of the recovery process that they should expect. Patients should anticipate firmness, swelling, edema, bruising, and discomfort for a period of several weeks to several months after this surgery. If you have a firm area in your abdominal wall after the surgery, this may or may not be par for the course. Your best bet is to let your plastic surgeon know if your concerns so that they may evaluate you. Firmness in the abdomen may very often be normal but your plastic surgeon will surely want to confirm that this is not a collection of fluid or another medical matter that needs to be treated expeditiously.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Firm feeling in belly after mini tummy tuck

+1

It is very common to feel quite firm for at least 6 weeks following any abdominoplasty or tummy tuck.

Post mini-tummy tuck

+1

It is very common for the abdomen to feel firm over the treated area after a mini-tummy tuck. It should get better over a few months time.

Early wounds are firm

+1

We do expect some swelling and firmness, but if there is increasing swelling, redness, pain, fever, or pus drainage then you need to seek immediate medical attention.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is normal after surgery

+1

It is very normal to have swelling, tenderness, and some firmness after surgery. This should gradually decrease in the weeks after surgery. If you have increasing pain or tenderness, or new areas of swelling or bruising, there may be something else going on and you should bring it up with your surgeon.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

One week after surgery

+1

is very early. Of course you should expect to have swelling and firmness. If you have inceasing pain, though, or NEW bruising, you should see your surgeon.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Expected firm and feeling of stomach after a mini-tummy tuck

+1

At just one week after a mini-tummy tuck that hard feeling is exactly what you would expect to feel. Between tightening the muscles and skin in conjunction with some swelling, the lower abdominal area will likely feel 'like a rock' and unnnatural. This is normal and the tissues will soften up again at about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD