Is It Normal to Feel More Comfortable in the Compression Suit? (photo)

I am 3 weeks out. My doctor told me to wear it for 2 weeks. I just took it off yesterday and was uncomfortable all night. I had trouble sleeping and it seems to be painful without it. Is this unusual? I am worried that I am not recovering as I should.

Compression garment after liposuction

+2

Wearing the compression garment after liposuction is very comforting for many patients. I usually advise my patients to wear the garment for 2 weeks, then wean away from it over several more weeks. There is certainly no harm in wearing it longer, especially if it is comforting to do so. 

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Is It Normal to Feel More Comfortable in the Compression Suit?

+2

Posted photo demonstrates normal healing. Best to call your operative surgeon to advise of your issue of needing continued compression. It is OK with me but please check. 

Recovering

+2

You look great for this early stage. I am sure the garment is helping and acts also as a security blanket. Ask your doctor if you can switch to spanks.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Compression

+1
I don't think you can wear your compression garment too much or too long. I would say that 100% of my patients feel better with it on for at least the first 4 to 6 weeks post op. Check with your surgeon, I'm sure they wont mind compression.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Compression Garments Give Support After SmartLipo and Vaser Body Fat Contouring

+1

I ask my patients to wear their compression garment for at least two weeks, longer if possible. After SmartLipo and Vaser body fat contouring, there is some swelling, followed by stiffness, and then softening. The compression garment holds the skin and underlying tissues against the muscle to give the best contour. You can sleep, exercise and work in the garment. Baby powder helps to get the garment on/off and keeps you comfortable.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon