Is It Normal to Look Fatter After Liposuction?

Hi again haha. Just had lipo on my lower abs and jaw area. I'm a very lightweight male, only 125 lb. However, I've always had extra fat deposits on my face and lower ab area. I haven't seen my lower abs yet since I'm still wearing my garment and foam pad, but my jaw area looks a little fatter than before. My doctor told me he didn't take much out from the area. I'm guessing it's just swelling, but I want to make sure that looking fatter is normal after liposuction.

Swelling after Liposuction

+2

It is normal to experience swelling of a treated area after liposuction. I tell patients they need to wait at least 6 weeks to see the improvements from the surgery. There can be residual swelling that persists for months after that. Be patient. Wear your garments and follow your doctors instructions on proper post-op care. 

Gaining weight and looking fatter after liposuction

+2

It is exceptionally common to look more swollen and to actually weigh more immediately after liposuction when compared to before due to a process called third spacing where the body accumulates fluid in the evacuated spaces as well as a result from the inflammatory process.

Swelling after liposuction

+2

There always is swelling after liposuction so you don't need to be concerned that the neck doesn't show improvement yet. It may take several weeks to a few months on the neck to reduce in shape.

Ronald Shelton, MD

It is normal to look more swollen after liposuction

+2

Hi,

It is totally normal to look more swollen or "fatter" after liposuction. This improves over the next few weeks as your body resorbs the swelling.

Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD