Is It Normal for Fat Grafting or Transfer to Be Puffy and Hard?

During lipo on my stomach, the Dr. made a small dimple or dip and dedcided to fix it by injecting some fat back into that area. He stated he needed to over stuff a little since it does not all stay. It has been 1 week and that spot is puffy and pretty hard or firm underneath. I do not think it is swelling, I think it is too much fat. Will it still go down and soften up or does it sound like he will have to re lipo that area? how long before he can do it, I can not go go months with this bulge...

Puffiness after fat injections

+1

It is very common to feel hardness and see swelling after lipoinjections (fat injections). You need to give it time to see how it heals. It could be very pleasing in 4 - 6 months.

Fat Grafting can lead to temporary puffiness and firmness.

+1

Yes it is normal for Grafted Fat to feel firm/puffy for a while. It is definitely swollen. And your surgeon is definitely correct, some of the fat will go away. So, he did the correct thing in overcorrecting. The uncertain thing is, how much will survive. ??? You will not know this for about 2-3 months from the day of surgery. There is no choice but to wait it out. Only time will tell if you will need additional fat placed to further correct or liposuction to further reduce this area if excess fat survives (unlikely).
Good luck, but be patient.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD