Is It Normal to Have Explantation Done in Thee Doctors Office?

I have had CC twice now and I want to just remove my implants.I have only had them 5months but have gone thru so much pain caused by the Dr removing CC in his office.He numbed all around the nipple but when he opened it up and started cutting I felt it all.I was torchered my body went thru trauma and 2wks later my hair started falling out.Went to my Dr and he ran test and found nathing that would case my hair to fall.Is it normal to have this done in thee office?

Removal of Breast Implants under Local Anesthesia?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the stressful situation you have experienced.

In the field of plastic surgery, there are a variety of ways to handle the same situation. In my practice, simple removal of breast implants ( without capsule work) can be done in the office under local anesthesia.  Whether or not it is done in this fashion is decided upon on an individualized basis.

However, procedures that are more involved ( such as treatment of breast implant encapsulation for example) are performed in the surgery center  under general anesthesia.

Explantation

+1

Explantation is a relatively straight forward procedure and can easily be done in the office using local anesthesia.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

It can be done in the office under local

+1

Thank your for the question.  I am sorry to hear about your experience.  Breast revision surgery can be performed under local anesthesia.  Obviously the point of local anesthesia is to not feel what is being done.  The good news is that hair loss secondary to stress will be temporary.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Explantation Done in The Doctor's Office?

+1

Usual custom would be  to do this in an approved operating room, whether in the doctor's office, a surgicenter or a hospital. After the experience you had with local anesthesia, I would insist on having sedation or general anesthesia for the removal. 

Sorry to hear about this experience.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Explantation done in the doctors office

+1

It is my opinion but certainly not proven or established fact that the risk of capsule contracture is much higher when the original (or worse, secondary) implant procedure is done through a periareolar incision. This is one reason to not use that incision for implant placement. Also, as you found, removing it through a periareolar incision is not very optimal either. This is another reason why an inframammary incision is best for placing the implant the first time and also for removing it later if needed. 

Regarding the procedure done in the office, it depends on what the office is set up for (and ideally accredited). There are three general levels of accreditation: local anesthesia only, local anesthesia with IV sedation, and general anesthesia. If the surgeons office is set up to put in implants under local anesthesia only (not commonly done) then taking them out under local anesthesia is appropriate. This is also much easier with a saline-filled implant and an inframammary crease incision. My office, for example, is set up and accredited to put in implants under local anesthesia and IV sedation. Taking them out can be done the same way. 

I suspect the issue is cost for removal of implants. Doing the removal under general anesthesia in a facility accredited for that will cost quite a bit more than in an office with only local anesthesia. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

I think it is the standard nowdays to do surgery like that in a certified surgical center. For the reasons you mentioned, my personal preference is to do the surgery under general anesthesia with a board certified anesthesiologist in attendance.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD