Is It Normal to Experience Itchiness and Blisters After IPL?

It's been 2 days since i had IPL but my skin feels ichy all the time, and there are some blisters too. What should i do? During the IPL, I could smell my skin being burned. is that normal? After the IPL, the lady used the steam machine to steam me. After a few minutes, I couldn't take it because it felt like my skin was burning and ask her to stop. She putted some cooling gel on me. Immediately after that, she did the microdermibration. is it alright to have a microdermibration right after IPL?

Blisters After IPL Treatment

+1

You should contact the treating physician immediately to make them aware of the blisters you have so they can provide appropriate wound care and minimize the risk of pigmentary changes once they heal.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Itchiness and Blisters After IPL

+1

This is a lot in a question, so let me answer each one:

1. NO you should not get blisters from a treatment and this is NOT normal. It means the settings used were way too high. Blisters are extremely dangerous and can result in hyperpigmented marks and discoloration in the long run. This part is not good, and you need to contact the treating office to let them know it happened, otherwise they will turn the machine up again next time and you can get worse burns and possible scarring. 

2. Itching is somewhat normal. You can get a form of erythema which is just irritation after IPL because of the heat generated. It can be treated easily with cool water and hydrocortisone, available over the counter from any pharmacy.

3. A steam machine is horrible post IPL. What a bad idea! Don't do that again!

4. Microdermabrasion is effective as pre-treatment to IPL. There is no reason to do it afterwards.

I'm unsure where you were treated, but if I'm giving you my true answer, find another office. This doesn't sound like anything was done correctly!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD