Is it normal to have this much excess skin? (photo)

I have never given birth and one particular part of the skin in the side is painful when I lean forward or sit, and during intercourse? Please help

Yep Normal

Sorry to say but you're normal. I'm not really sorry to say it actually. What skin are you referring to? If it is the extra mucosa (pink tissue) on the inside of the vagina, this is the hymen or remnant of the hymenal ring. If this tissue is irritated and painful, which can happen to some of the "tags" if they stick out or get too much friction during intercourse, they can be removed under local anesthetic and/or IV sedation. Hopefully you've gotten some help on this issue by now, but feel free to PM me with any extra questions you have.

220 E Central Pkwy
Orlando, FL 32701

Is it normal to have this much excess skin?

Enlarged labia minora can be functionally or psycho-socially bothersome. Local irritation, problems with personal hygiene, interference or discomfort with sexual intercourse and discomfort during cycling, horseback riding, wearing exercise clothing, walking or sitting are common complaints related to enlarged labia minora.

For these patients, judicious reduction of the labia minora may serve to improve the physical comfort during specific activity. Often, patients may not have symptoms related to the labia minora but are simply not pleased with the appearance of the redundant and/or dark skin. Surgical correction for these patients may help improve the patient’s self image or confidence. In these cases, like any procedure performed for “aesthetic” reasons, it is important to ascertain that the patient is internally motivated (doing the procedure for herself) not motivated by another party.  Please see the attached link for more information.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

You look entirely 'normal' on your photo

and it appears to me you're more concerned about the canal and where your hymen once was.  Its normal to have the undulations once you get to the canal.  But if you're concerned and having painful intercourse, best to see a gynecologist to figure out why and once that is resolved, you can focus on 'excesses', if found to be present.

Curtis Wong, MD

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

It is difficult to tell from the photos, but if there is excess that bothers you a labiaplasty may be appropriate.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

​Painful Labia During Activity And Intercourse

Painful Labia During Activity And Intercourse

It is somewhat difficult to see from this photo but you may have some excess skin.

Clearly, the exess or position of the skin is getting irritated. You should have an exam with an experienced surgeon and see what adjustments may be of benefit for you.

3991 MacArthur Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Your labia look normal in the photograph that you provided

Thank you for your question and photograph. Your photograph is somewhat difficult to evaluate but from what I can see the amount of excess skin your concerned about is normal and your vaginal anatomy looks normal to me.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Not clear from the photo what "skin" you are concerned about but I would first pay a visit to your gynecologist for a physical exam of the area. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

9090 Burton Way
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Labiaplasty surgery

Hi there

thank you for your kind question. It is difficult to know from the pictures whether you are concerned regarding your outer lips (labia major - the skin you are holding) or your inner lips (labia minor)

The pictures are not great but it appears as though your labial anatomy is well within normal limits. That said, if you have issues then these can be discussed and possibly labia major reduction explored

Good luck!

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

The Banwell Clinic
East Grinstead, W Sussex RH19 3EB