Is it normal to have this much excess skin? (photo)

I have never given birth and one particular part of the skin in the side is painful when I lean forward or sit, and during intercourse? Please help

Is it normal to have this much excess skin?

+1

Enlarged labia minora can be functionally or psycho-socially bothersome. Local irritation, problems with personal hygiene, interference or discomfort with sexual intercourse and discomfort during cycling, horseback riding, wearing exercise clothing, walking or sitting are common complaints related to enlarged labia minora.

For these patients, judicious reduction of the labia minora may serve to improve the physical comfort during specific activity. Often, patients may not have symptoms related to the labia minora but are simply not pleased with the appearance of the redundant and/or dark skin. Surgical correction for these patients may help improve the patient’s self image or confidence. In these cases, like any procedure performed for “aesthetic” reasons, it is important to ascertain that the patient is internally motivated (doing the procedure for herself) not motivated by another party.  Please see the attached link for more information.

You look entirely 'normal' on your photo

+1
and it appears to me you're more concerned about the canal and where your hymen once was.  Its normal to have the undulations once you get to the canal.  But if you're concerned and having painful intercourse, best to see a gynecologist to figure out why and once that is resolved, you can focus on 'excesses', if found to be present.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

It is difficult to tell from the photos, but if there is excess that bothers you a labiaplasty may be appropriate.

​Painful Labia During Activity And Intercourse

+1

Painful Labia During Activity And Intercourse

It is somewhat difficult to see from this photo but you may have some excess skin.

Clearly, the exess or position of the skin is getting irritated. You should have an exam with an experienced surgeon and see what adjustments may be of benefit for you.

Your labia look normal in the photograph that you provided

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. Your photograph is somewhat difficult to evaluate but from what I can see the amount of excess skin your concerned about is normal and your vaginal anatomy looks normal to me.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

EXCESS ?VAGINAL SKIN

+1

Not clear from the photo what "skin" you are concerned about but I would first pay a visit to your gynecologist for a physical exam of the area. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Labiaplasty surgery

+1

Hi there

thank you for your kind question. It is difficult to know from the pictures whether you are concerned regarding your outer lips (labia major - the skin you are holding) or your inner lips (labia minor)

The pictures are not great but it appears as though your labial anatomy is well within normal limits. That said, if you have issues then these can be discussed and possibly labia major reduction explored

Good luck!

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon