Is It Normal to Develop Teeth Grinding After New Crowns?

About a year ago I had my front 6 teeth crowned. In this year I've had two break in the middle of the night through contact with my bottom teeth, the second being very recent. My dentist fixed the first by filing down the tooth that could touch when I bit and told me that I have an abnormal grinding problem. I've never had any grinding issues until after having these crowns. Is it normal to develop a grinding issue like this after getting crowns? Or is this a different issue?

Is it normal to have tooth grinding after a crown is inserted?

+1

No it is not normal to have tooth grinding after the insertion of a crown or filling many times this is an indication the restoration may need an adjustment, or your TMJ may be not functioning in its proper position.

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD  CEO Baystate Dental PC.

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth grinding after 6 anterior crowns

+1

Everybody after 30 yrs of age grinds the teeth: It`s part of routine everyday stress and improper handling of the problem from dental specialist. 6 crowns in the anterior is the most demanding, aesthetic and important area of the mouth and the smile. So, it should be handled adequately.  6 crowns can easily change the occlusal relationship and trigger teeth grinding (bruxism). Before final cementation the occlusal contacts should be adjusted , as well as a week or two later. Also the very important factor- occlusal guard should be made to protect the restorations from crack and preserve them and opposing dentition for a longer time.

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth Grinding After New Crowns

+1

Sometimes, the new crowns can be the "straw that breaks the camel's back". Your TMJ (grinding) issues might have been ready to happen, and then any slight change in the way your teeth meet could have been the precipitating factor in your grinding issues. See a dentist who is well-studied on occlusion, and have them evaluate your bite. You should also consider a night guard.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist