Is It Normal to Have a Crooked Nose After a Revision Rhinoplasty?

I finally had a revision rhinoplasty and the experience with the cast on was perfectly fine. No pain, no bruises, breathing was ok, and no drips. Very different from first. Today cast came off and the nose seems a bit crooked. Doctor said this is normal due to the nose being still swollen. Is this true? He also used silicone to lengthened the nose instead of rib cartilage. Should he have used rib cartilage instead of silicone? How long will it take before my nose looks normal or not crooked?

Early asymmetry

+1

it is possible that early asymmetry will be caused by swelling - if it doesn't improve after a few weeks then you may need a revision

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty

+1

It is difficult to evaluate your nose this early after surgery. It will take some time for the swelling to resolve in order to accurately assess the cause of the crooked appearance. 

Nose Asymmetry Soon After Surgery

+1

I agree with other comments.  Early on, with swelling, it is difficult to judge the final result of your rhinoplasty. I recommend waiting at least 3-6 months.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Crooked Nose Immediately after Rhinoplasty Revision

+1

Temporary asymmetrical swelling may be present when the cast is removed after rhinoplasty. Be patient. Although I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage in revision rhinoplasty, many excellent surgeons will place silicone implants.

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

It is too early to judge , there is swelling now wait 6-12 weeks for most of the swelling to resolve.

As for using silicone or rib cartillage graft. This must have been discussed before the surgery and both of you agreed as to what material to use. Or did you leave the decision to the surgeon? so he used what he saw most appropriate.

Crooked Alignment Following Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

What your plastic surgeon said is correct. In some cases, the nose can indeed look crooked shortly after taking the cast and bandages off. This can be from a variety of factors, including drift of the nasal bones and/or asymmetric soft tissue swelling. In my opinion, I would have tried to avoid using any prosthetic implants (silicone included) in the nose. Instead, I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage - whether that is septum, ear or rib. This is actually a very important consideration when it comes to revision rhinoplasty - one that should have been explained in detail prior to surgery with some decisions regarding this having been made in the preoperative phase. Most patients begin to feel publicly presentable about 10-14 days out from revision rhinoplasty. Of course, much of this depends on what was done to the nose during your particular surgery. Happy healing.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/procedures/rhinoplasty-san-diego-ca/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon