Is It Normal to Correct Minimal Breast Asymmetry Using Different Profile Implants? (photo)

I had minimal breast asymmetry, my doctor used 300cc moderate on the left and 335cc full on the right by Naturelle Inspira. I had the surgery 6 months ago and always thought the right was latger. He wants to correct the issue with 370cc full in both and fat graphing on the left. My concern is the profile difference being visibly noticeable. Will 370 in both and fat graphing make the left much bigger. should I be charged $3600 for the correction. I've already paid $8600.

Is It Normal to Correct Minimal Breast Asymmetry Using Different Profile Implants?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the concerns you have after breast augmentation surgery. Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with very specific analysis or advice.

Generally speaking, it is sometimes helpful to use different sizes and/or profiles of breast implants in an attempt to improve breast symmetry. Of course, patients should always be aware that absolute symmetry of the breasts is rarely achievable, even when patients feel that they are starting out with symmetrical breasts.

In regards to undergoing additional surgery;  I would suggest this approach only if the breast asymmetry  you are currently experiencing is quite significant and/or bothersome.  I cannot make this assessment based on the photographs posted. Ultimately, you will be the best judge whether additional surgery, along with the potential risks/complications/expenses associated with additional surgery, is  potential worthwhile.

I hope this, and the attached link, devoted to breast asymmetry issues, is helpful to you.

Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

+1

Using different profile implants is unusual but might be the proper thing to do. To my your breasts look pretty good and I would be inclined to accept the asymmetry is modest says it is. I do not charge patients for revisional surgery.

Be cautious and go slow when correcting asymmetry

+1

All breasts pairs in all women are asymmetrical to some degree. Every women may perceive and react differently to different degrees of asymmetry. If this asymmetry is significant enough to bother the patient, and her surgeon notices this same asymmetry, and there are implants available in the catalog to correct this asymmetry, then different shape and sizes of implants may be used. We can't address what was done at the initial operation without your preop pictures (and it's too late anyway - the implants are already in). So I suggest you concentrate your decision on what to do now 6 months later.

If your concern right now is that the right side is bigger, I suggest waiting at least 1 year after surgery before doing anything about it. Your skin still looks tight from the surgery, and the breasts will continue to change. Each breast also had different things done to them and different implants placed and will, therefore, heal at different rates. You want to give the breasts as much time as possible to even out on their own as surgically planned.

I also suggest waiting a year so you can live with the implants longer to more accurately pinpoint exactly where this asymmetry exists. Is there more implant in the fold, the lower pole, the upper pole, the side, the the middle, the projection...? This will help you and your surgeon narrow down exactly what needs to be fixed and preferably take smaller steps to fix this with a higher likelihood of giving you exactly what you want. It will also confirm you and your surgeon are on the same page. Once you 2 agree on exactly where and what the asymmetry is, you both can sit down and see what implants are available to correct this, if any. 

Furthermore, the amount of asymmetry you have may not be correctable with new implants. Every operation will have some margin of error even with the best planning and technique. If the amount of asymmetry is less than this margin of error, there is an equal chance your asymmetry will be better, worse or the same after a second operation because it just isn't enough to definitely correct. 

It is unsettling to pay for more surgery and implants. Based on my math calculating cost of implants, anesthesia, operating room fee and fat grafting equipment, I doubt your surgeon is making any money on this second operation. It seems he wants to do whatever it takes to make you happy. All surgeons sometimes make mistakes and will usually pay for revision surgery themselves for the patient, but I don't see where your surgeon made any errors. 

Seeking perfection can be costly.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

ASymmetry

+1

It is always helpful to see preop photos. I like to use the same implant when possible, but if breasts are very different then one must use different implants. Good luck.

+1

It is hard enough to plan procedures on asymmetric patients based on an in person examination. Without before photos it is not useful to try to second guess what was done.

Depending on the degree of asymmetry using different size and different profiles may be the best choice for an individual patient. 

From this point on, again based on a single photo view, I can see that the right breast appears larger, but by how much, and what can be done to improve the symmetry I cannot tell. 

As to the fee, most surgeons will charge for implants, operating room and anesthesia. Many will discount or wave any professional fee, and it seems based on the quote that that has been done. 

If you are seeking another opinion about the planning for the next procedure, an in person consultation is the only way you might get useful advice. All the best.