Is It Normal to Have Clear Bloody Fluid Leaking out of the Incision Site 15 Days Post-op?

I am a 27 year old female that had a tummy tuck and breast implants, my belly button got infected and came out positive for sidimonus, now I'm 15 days post-op and my right breast incision started draining a clearish bloody fluid that drips and saturated the gauze in a 12 hour period, is this normal?

Indication of a Potential Breast Infection

+2

Regarding: "27 year old female that had a tummy tuck and breast implants, my belly button got infected and came out positive for sidimonus, now I'm 15 days post-op and my right breast incision started draining a clearish bloody fluid that drips and saturated the gauze in a 12 hour period, is this normal?"

Pseudomonas infections are not common and may be hard to eradicate. Moreover, ANY infection in the body can theoretically spread to and involve any implants (heart valves, knee or hip joints and breast implants). In many cases, subclinical infections have been implicated as the cause of scarring around implants. Sudden draining from augmented breasts 2 weeks after surgery is not normally seen and you should be seen promptly by your surgeon.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Drainage from breast implant incision

+2

At 15 days postop, what you are describing from a breast augmentation incision is distinctly NOT normal.  You should call your doctor's office right now and ask to be seen asap.

Drainage after mommy makeover

+1
Drainage at 15 days post op is definitely NOT normal. Combined with the belly button infection, this is concerning. You need to call your surgeon and be seen. Good luck.

Drainage Following Breast Implants

+1

Serosanguinous drainage of this magnitude from your breast incision is definitely not normal and potentially indicates a serious problem. In addition, the presence of pseudomonas in your abdominal wounds makes this drainage even more ominous.

Although this problem could be related to something simple like a suture granuloma, it’s imperative that infection within the implant pocket be ruled out. At this point, you don’t have redness, pain or an elevated temperature. Under these circumstances, if infection is present, it may still be early enough to salvage the situation.

It’s important to consult your surgeon as soon as possible. If he’s concerned about infection he may start you on antibiotics and possibly explore your breast implant pocket.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Clear/Bloody Fluid From Breast Aug/Lift Incision 2 Weeks After Surgery - Is It Normal?

+1

Clear/bloody fluid is referred to medically as serosanguinous fluid.  This type of fluid leaking out of a breast augmentation site in the face of a nearby pseudomonas infection is very suspicious and absolutely not a normal post-operative situation. 

I am sure your plastic surgeon will want to culture this fluid and see to it that you are on the appropriate drug or drugs.  You may have a secondary infection.  All plastic surgeons have dealt with this form of problem.  Please understand it is treatable and curable if handled immediately and aggressively.  

Call your plastic surgeon ASAP.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Fluid drainage from breast mommy makeover tummy tuck breast augmentation

+1

Hi,

It is not the usual course of events to develop drainage from a breast augmentation with or without a breast lift.

The fact that you have had a pseudomonas infection is not a good part of your story.   Bugs love foreign bodies and implants.    It is possible that your drainage is due to a brewing infection around the implant.  This also can show up with a redness of the breast or fever.  The usual course of events with an infected implant is swelling and drainage of yellow fluid.   The fluid buildup secondary to bacteria present causes the fluid pressure to be relieved by going to the area of least resistance and this would be the incision. 

Check with your doctor.  It seems at the very least you need to be covered with antibiotics and monitored by your doctors so that any progression of a possible infection can be approached medically/surgically.  Be careful in your case.

Web reference: http://www.theplasticsurgerygroup.net/photo-gallery/results.cfm?CFID=3554106&CFTOKEN=d070d0adac62d4c5-3742689E-782B-CB77-9FC7D67

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Fluid leaking from an incision after cosmetic surgery

+1

Sometimes, this can be a stitch coming out that didn't dissolve and other times it may be a hole that needs to be closed.  See your plastic surgeon soon to make sure everything is okay.

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Infection after surgery

+1

I think you know the answer to your question - no it is not normal. We must assume that you are currently on antibiotics though you do not say so in your post. It is imperative that you take the right antibiotic to stop the infection from spreading. You need to have a frank discussion with your surgeon who is currently in the best position to treat you. If the infection does not visibly respond to antibiotics within a couple of days ask for an infectious disease consult to make sure the right antibiotic is being prescribed. If you let this process go one unimpeded you will most likely have to remove the breast implants.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Abdominoplasty and drainage

+1

I would recommend consulting your surgeon. Drainage from incision may occur at this point in time of your recovery, but should be assessed by your surgeon to rule out any complications. Signs of infection, for example, include fevers chills abnormal swelling and redness. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Abnormal drainage from breast wound after 14 days

+1

It is not typical to see any drainage from breast augmentation wounds this far out from surgery.  While a small area of the wound may have a delay in healing and still have a "raw" or open area which drains like a "scab" on your knee, this is something that should be evaluated immediately by your surgeon.  If you do have a wound infection it needs to be treated immediately if the implant is to be salvaged.  Good luck!