Is it normal to have bloody drainage 5 days after Vaginoplasty and Labiaplasty and for the sutures to already start dissolving?

I have swelling and only minimal discomfort.

Vaginoplasty and labiaplasty recovery

Some bloody discharge is not uncommon even 5 days after vaginoplasty and dissolvable sutures are too acceptable - keeping in mind that there probably are several layers of sutures holding things together.  Nonetheless, it is always best to address these concerns with your operating surgeon that can actually physically examine the tissue to confirm normalcy.  Glad to help.

Dissolvable sutures with labiaplasty with concern of drainage

Permanent or dissolvable sutures can be used with a labiaplasty, I prefer to use dissolvable sutures.  A small amount of drainage from bloody to blood-tinged is normal for the first week.  I recommend sitz baths with tepid to warm water twice a day to promote good hygiene.  Bacitracin ointment should be applied to incisions 2 times a day.  Dissolvable sutures begin to break down within 1-2 weeks and loose ends or knots can be removed to speed up the healing process. 

Charles A. Wallace, MD

Vaginoplasty Drainage first week

A small amount of bloody drainage is normal after vaginoplasty in the first week especially as your comfort and activity levels increase. Heavy bleeding is not normal and should prompt evaluation by your surgeon. Different types of sutures dissolve at different times after surgery and each surgeon has a preference for particular types. I use sutures that dissolve in 4-6 weeks near the skin, and longer acting sutures in the deep tissues.