Is This Normal - Blepharoplasty? (photo)

Hello, I had lower blepharoplasty almost 2 weeks ago. I have a concern about my left eye. You can see in the pictures that the scar is way below the scar on the right eye. You can't see the scar on the right eye, in fact. I feel like it is "gone down", like descended. I don't know how to describe it. My eyes do not look different size or anything, so maybe this was planned like this? Please let me know if this is normal or should I be worried? Thank you!

Your slightly lower left undereye incision should heal just fine

+2

Your slightly lower left undereye incision should heal just fine. I do see exactly what you're concerned about. This does happen occasionally. The incision was just placed slightly lower on your left side than the right side. This should settle and heal quite well in the first 2-3 months. This could always be revised later if you're unhappy with it but I highly doubt that will be necessary.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Scars

+2

I can see the asymmetry you have described, but probably because you are only a few weeks following surgery. The good news is that the eyelid skin scars so finely, in several month it will be hard at best to even see them, whether the scars were planned that way or not.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Patients is key

+2

There is a mild asymmetry to the position of the incisions, but this will probably not be an issue within a few weeks. Scars will improve till about a year after surgery, so stay out of the sun and be patient.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid surgical scars: are these normal?

+2

It is very early to be worried about the lower eyelid appearance. As mentioned, these lines tend to fade over time and are usually not noticeable after a few months.The incisions can stay red for a while, particularly if you are fair skinned or spend time in the sun during your healing.  Give it a few more weeks.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is This Normal - Blepharoplasty?

+2

Thanks for including good quality photos. It is easy to see what you are concerned about and I have no answer as to the why. That's a question for your surgeon. However, if you give this about 6-12 weeks I seriously doubt it will even be noticeable as eyelid scars tend to be close to invisible when healed.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Is This Normal - Blepharoplasty

+2

Yes the photos are very slightly different but after a few months I doubt you will be able to see anything. Be patient, 2 weeks is very early to be so concerned. Or better yet discuss with your chosen surgeon. 

Incision Will Fade After Eyelid Surgery

+1

It is still very early and the incision marks from eyelid surgery should heal fine and fade in 6 months up to 1 year. You may want to followup with your doctor for advice during the healing process for your blepharoplasty. I recommend using sunscreen or keeping out of the sun while the area is still healing to prevent scarring from getting darker. 

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon