Is This a Normal Belly Button After Tummy Tuck?

Does my belly button, after 7 weeks of Tummy tuck, look normal?

Check for umbilical hernia

+1

It's hard to tell, but it looks like you have a little bulge in the belly button. It's very possible you may have an umbilical hernia. You can tell by pushing on your belly button while you cough. If you feel a little hole in the fascia (the deep layer under the fat) and feel a bulge, then it is a hernia, and get it fixed. It will then look a lot more "innie" than "outie". If no bulge, then your scar is probably just a little wide there- give it some time and it will improve. My god, you still have a brown splotch from the tape marks, woman! :)

It takes up to a year for final postoperative results

+1

After a tummy tuck, you will have a great deal of swelling and possibly bruising that is normal!

It takes around 6-8 weeks for the majority of the swelling to start to go down, three months for you to appreciate what the results will look like, and a YEAR until ALL the swelling is absolutely gone.

Wearing a comfortable compression garment like an abdominal binder or a Spanx-type garment may help to speed up the resolution of swelling.

Be patient. You have invested a lot of time, effort, energy and funds in this process.

Allow your body to heal at its own rate.

You will enjoy your new tummy more as you continue to recovery.

Congratulations!

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.