Is This Normal? And if So when Will It Stop?

Hi, I had botox in my jaw muscles, injected from inside the mouth, to relieve the pain from muscle spasms in my jaw (I haven't been able to relax my face for over 5 years). The first time I had it, I noticed after a month or so that the corners of my mouth didn't turn up properly when I smiled, and chewing seemed to take a bit longer. Because it did help with the pain I have had it repeated and can barely move my mouth! My smile is a small grimace! Am I stuck like this until the 3months is over?

Botox Injection in Jaw Muscles

+1

I am sorry you are having so much problems and I have some suggestions.
The way you are describing seems to indicate the technique is wrong. The masseter is a deep muscle, so the injection should be deep. If the injection is made too superficially it will effect the muscles of facial expression and therefore effect the corners of the mouth and smile. The injection is made directly from the skin into the muscle and to be sure it is in the deep muscle, inject down to bone and then withdraw a little so the injection is in the deep masseter muscle. Clenching before the injection will also show the best site for injection by looking and feeling the masseter muscle. I would suggest you start with about 30U in each masseter muscle and titrate each month to the dose which is optimal for you relieving pain as well as good function. See a Botox doctor who will work closely with you to get the best result. Good Luck.

Honolulu General Surgeon

Botox effect

+1

If you are unhappy with the result of your Botox injection then typically you have to wait 3-4 months for the Botox effect to wear off. I only recommend that Botox be injected by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon