What is normal after under the muscle breast augmentation? (Photo)

I had a breast augmentation done on Dec. 16 and haematoma removed on Dec 23. My breasts are still swollen with the left more so as well it seems high still. My Doctor said massaging wasn't necessary being its under the muscle. Now he says it is with no instruction on how. When I move, it's like they're moving. (I get this feeling in them as what feels like a raspy chest). Is this sort of things normal? When should I notice a change and when will they be "normal?"

Ask your surgeon about massage instructions

+1
It appears that your breasts are still sitting high up and haven't settled. This can take a few months. Typically, it is 4 months or so however since you experienced a complication it could be longer than this. You should ask your surgeon how to massage your breasts. Please do not massage your breasts without knowing how to do it. 

What is normal after under the muscle breast augmentation?

+1
Well, after a hematoma, recovery can be delayed which seems to be what you could be experiencing as your left breast appears to be much higher than your right.  Make an appt with your surgeon for a follow up just to make sure everything is moving along as it should and ask for him to demonstrate how to massage.  I'm sure he will be happy to show you the correct way to massage as all surgeons really want their patients to have a nice result.  As for your implants dropping,  everyone is different so it can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your breasts to settle.  Go see your surgeon and follow his instructions.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Im sorry you had a hematoma, unfortunately from time to time these things do happen, after care and recovery is always significantly delayed after a hematoma because you basically had double the inflammation

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

BBA

+1
Unfortunately, the posted photo is not very helpful.  It would be better to post a photo without any covering of the breasts.  Your photo looks like one side is high.  You should get a second opinion from a BC PS in your area with an in-person consultation.  Your breasts will continue to change for at least 6 months after your surgery.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Post-op augmentation results

+1

Your photo shows one side to be higher... massage or bra use could be certainly be beneficial but if your surgeon is adamant that you will be fine, trust your surgeon and then if things do not turn out as expected, ask your surgeon what can be done to 'fix' the problems.  Surgeons should be equally motivated as patient to achieve the best outcomes!

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

PLEASE! an in bra photo does not help... Was your surgeon a boarded PS?? Massages and external ultrasound therapy can help. But you offered very limited info.. Best to obtain an IN PERSON second opinion..

High riding implants

+1

I tell patients whose implants are high riding that it can take 3 months, sometimes longer, for the implants to "drop," which occurs gradually as the pectoral muscles relax to accommodate the new implants. The photo in the bra is unfortunately not of much help. 

My suggestion would be a visit to the surgeon for massage instructions. All the best. 

Recovery

+1
Your plastic surgeon who is most familiar with your procedure is the best person to guide you with your concerns.  It can take 4 weeks to 3 months for swelling to resolve depending on what technique(s) were utilized in your procedure.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS