Sweep Marks After Mini Lift?

I had marionette lines and loose skin in the jowl area. They were not fatty. I had a Mini lift that included lifting and trimming of the SMAS muscle. Now my jowls look like this. I am not happy with this. My doctor's only solution is to do either Lipodissolve or liposuction.

Updated 5/22/09:

I hope this isn't confusing. I added another photo (more photos are posted in my review). The doctor swears that he lifted my SMAS muscles. The left side of my face was aggressively pulled higher than the right side. Leaving the right lower side of my face sagging. And a horrible sweep mark on the left side. He will only do lipo to correct my lower face. But honestly he says he can't see anything wrong.

When you paint a house you paint the whole house, not just a touch up.

+3

When patients want to undergo a rejuvenation of their appearance it is critical that their surgeon make a complete analysis of the changes that have taken place and how each adds to their aging look. Recently many people are enticed by marketeers who pray on unsuspecting patients. The old saying that if it sounds too good to be true you probably are right.

We continually see the adds for lunch time rejuvenation, mini lifts, laser correction of sagging skin. Wouldn't it be great if these promises were real. To get the results that you hope for it is necessary for you to find an honest well trained Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. But the quest doesn't stop there. You must also spend the appropriate time with your surgeon to discuss and understand what your surgeon plans to do to correct your aging changes. A face lift with out a brow lift in many patients will often leave the patient unhappy because they still look tired and sad. Eye lid surgery without a brow lift may not make any real difference. A mini lift is just another of those false promises that so often leave the patient unhappy and with a bad expensive experience. Fat grafting of the lips, jaw line, checks etc may be more important than the face lift it self. Don't ever go in and buy a procedure, You need to go in and find a caring physician who cares about what you hope to accomplish and is willing to listen to you and create a plan to get you the results that will create your body image. It's not an operation that you should seek but a relationship with your surgeon who will guide you safely to the results you desire.

"mini" procedures are notoriously unpredictable

+3

While it's difficult to know exactly the issues based on these photos, in general we see a lot of patients who have had mini or "quick" facelifts elsewhere unhappy. While some patients with limited signs of facial aging may be satisfied with these minimal procedures, the results are not as predictable as traditional approaches.

In your case, I would give it some time, a minimum of 6 months before considering any revision surgery. Most small asymmetries settle by then, but if not, there are multiple options available, and I would seek out more than one opinion before deciding on a procedure and a surgeon.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Sometimes complete facial rejuvenation makes more sense than a limited procedure.

+3

Quick lift, Mini lift, Lifestyle lift, One-stitch lift.... Patients always gravitate to these procedures because they like the cost, they like the marketing, but they don't ask what the long term results are.

The question to ask is not how good you look at 7 days (which is the marketing pitch), but how good you look at 1 year or longer. I would not advise any lipodissolve or liposuction.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift works well for most early signs of aging

+3

The mini lift which we also call a soft lift is a variation of traditional facelift with a short scar. Another term is a limited incision facelift. How the actual incision is made depends on what an individual surgeon has found to work best. We also will plan the incision according to individual patient needs. Through the small incision the deeper tissues can be adjusted and supported and the skin lifted in an upward direction to reduce laxity. The result is a substantial reduction in and improvement in the smile lines, marionette lines, and even some improvement in the neck. The facial rejuvenation should be considered a continuum as when the laxity in the neck or jowl increases we must consider the need for a full facelift, or necklift, and if the brow above is an issue consideration of a lateral or full brow lift made.

As the face ages we lose not only tissue support, but importantly facial fat, the "fullness of youth". We find that to correct facial aging we place more structural fat grafts into the smile and marionette lines, and the lip, both with mini and full facelift procedures. We would never recommend liposuction or fat removal by any means other than within the neck. Removal of facial fat can be quite aging so we suggest caution. With all cosmetic procedures we have to settle for substantial improvements and a flattening of the aging curve.

peterejohnsonmd

A Quicklift may only last a 'quick time'.

+2

There are a whole lot of 'face lift' procedures which are being heavily marketed at this time. If theycut less, and if they heal faster, and if they cost less, you can only expect lessof the result. There is no easier, better replacement for the real face lift. You only get what you pay for. Go get a real face lift and you will be happy with the result.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Can you post a before photo also please

+2

You have a heavy appearing face, one which a mini lift won't do much for. It would be very helpful to see what you looked like before and therefore what changes you got and didn't get.

Avoid lipodissolve as it is NOT FDA approved and avoid liposuction to your face as it can cause grooves and lines from being too close to the skin.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Mini lift

+1

Without seeing good befoe and after photos, it is hard to comment. Usually in patients that require a full facelift, a mini-lift just doesn't do the job.

Sweep marks from mini face lift

+1

Looking at your pictures, I think your before your before pictures are better than your after pictures.

You needed a full face lift, brow lift with weakening of the corrugator muscles. Mini face lift would not correct the aging changes you had.

I usually do not like to do liposuction to the face except in heavy faces. Lipodissolve is not approved and still under study.

We lose fat with aging, so we must replace the fat back where it belongs. My advise to you is to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss your options.

You probably need a full face lift.

Appearance after your mini-lift.

+1

Dear Teresa,

I read your question and your unhappy review. I'm unable to comment on your outcome without seeing your pictures from before the face lift and brow lift.

The pictures you provided do not demonstrate an "operated", asymmetrical, or disfigured appearance.

I've never met the doc that operated on you, but since you're dissatisfied, definitely get a second opinion from a board-certified facial plastic surgeon.

I hope this is helpful, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

You can't always get major results with a mini procedure.

+1

Without reviewing how severe your jowls were before surgery, it is nearly impossible to judge the efffectiveness of your mini lift.

If you had advanced jowling, I would consider this an acceptable result.

a