Is It Normal to Have Additional Swelling Occur Months After Juvederm Injection?

I had juv. injections in may. I had a lot of swelling but went down dramatically. I asked for a Fuller top lip and before procedure and ended up with uneven top lip and even bigger bottom lip. I went back to see if they would fix it. She said it was my lips that were uneven and she would but a cheaper filler in so I didn't have to pay as much. I again had a lot of swelling and was told to us a hot compress and massage my lips. 2 months later my top lip blew up again. Is this bad? What can I do?

Swelling of lip

+1

Usually there is an initial swelling from fillers to the lip that subsides after a few days.  It is unusual to have a dleayed reaction. You may want to see your doctor.

With the Hyaluronic acid fillers they can be dissolved away with Hyaluronidase

+1

Yes, but with the Hyaluronic acid fillers they can be dissolved away with Hyaluronidase and then be re-applied. Therefore, if you have uneven lips you can try to even them out by dissolving the product in unwanted areas and re-applying it in the correct place. It may not be 100% successful, but you can usually get some improvement.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after fillers

+1

You probably will do well, but it does take a lot of time for swelling to decrease. you'll have to be patient. The delayed swelling may improve with the course of a corticosteroid tapered treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD