Normal Vs Abnormal Swelling After Tummy Tuck

today i am 3 weeks post op from tummy tuck and lipo. i have done very well. walking upright after 1 week. scar healing perfectly with no infections or pain. belly button seems good and lipo is good. however, i am much more swollen today than i was 1 week out of surgery. there is a hardened line along my incision and i look about 4 months pregnant vs. the flat tummy i had a week ago. im pretty flat when i lay down but when i get up im bloated and hard. is it normal to continue to swell?

Sudden swelling of abdomen 3 weeks after surgery

+1

This sounds suspicous for a hematoma or seroma. I would certainly present to your plastic surgeon for evaluation and possible diagnostic and therapeutic aspiration.

Abdominal bloating month after tt

+1

I can't tell for sure but it sounds like you have a fluid collection belwo the flap (seroma).  I would recomment contacting your surgeon and ask about using the binder.  He should see you and may need to aspirate the fluid.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Normal VS ABnormal Swelling After a Tummy Tuck

+1

Post-surgical swelling and inflammation requires weeks  to months to resolve and patients often report more tummy swelling as the day progresses than what they had in the morning. The important thing to rule out is a fluid collection (Seroma) formation. If you do have a seroma it needs to be drained promptly to prevents its becoming a chronic seroma (which is hard to eradicate) or its becoming infected. I recommend you see your surgeon and have him guide you.