Might a Non Surgical Procedure Improve my Upper Eyelids?

Hello, I am 27 and I have found in the last few years that eyelids, particularly the right one (in the picture)have drooped a bit. I would prefer not to go under the knife at this stage but I am open minded. I have heard about Thermage, Titan and Aluma. I have also seen a post on the 'Ten Minute Eyelift'. I actually have an appoinment booked for Aluma for 7th Jan but am thinking about cancelling it. I can't see much positive feedback on it on the net. Any other advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Thermage, TITAN, etc. are a waste of time (IMHO).

+4

I'd avoid any eyelid procedures in such a patient. I have especially found Thermage to be an ineffective procedure (yes, lawyers, that's my opinion based on the feedback from patients who've had it and then come to me). Note, too, that Thermage has one of the lowest "Was It Worth It" ratings of 38% (i.e., only 38% of patients said it was worth it). See the RealSelf.com "Was It Worth It" link attached below.

If a patient is noticing a new asymmetry between the eyelids, though, I usually suggest seeing an ophthalmologist to evaluate potential causes for ptosis, since those can signal an underlying medical problem (the eyelid is merely the symptom).

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid droopiness should be checked by an ophthalmologist.

+3

You appear to have mild ptosis (droopiness) of your right upper eyelid. This should be evaluated by a certified ophthalmologist.. Upper blepharoplasty (skin excision) should be avoided since it may worsen the appearance of your right eyelid.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical eyelid treatments

+3

I agree with everyone else, in that you are not a candidate for surgery. The asymmetry I see in the upper eyelids I believe can be corrected with either Juvederm or fat injections along the orbital rim on the right side. This will correct the lack of fullness seen on the right side compared to the left. Juvederm has the advantage of not being permanent, so if you don't like it, it will go away. I don't believe that skin tightening is indicated either.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Consider Botox to improve upper eyelids

+3

As you can see the majority consensus is LEAVE THEM ALONE! At best use a small amount of Botox as some of the expert posters have suggested. Best of Luck.

Non-surgical Eyelid Lift

+2

I have a great deal of experience in all of the technologies you mention as well as surgery. The most reliable way to reduce the amount of heaviness in your eyelids is with surgery. Noninvasive treatments can produce satisfactory outcomes in some patients but their ability to do so can be unpredictable. I would recommend nonsurgical approaches only to the surgically averse patient who has appropriate expectations (does not expect to look as if they had surgery). Which treatment you choose really depends on your expecations, treatment goals, motivation, relative risk aversion, finances, and other factors.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Options for upper eyelid in younger patients

+2

What a range of opinions your question has generated! This usually means that there is no single answer that is clearly the best. I don't think your right eyelid needs anything, as far as I can tell from the picture.

There is a bit more hooding on the left. It would be very easy to correct under local anesthesia with a very limited blepharoplasty. If you decide to do anything, that would be the simplest and most predictable. Although all of the nonsurgical procedures have their place, this isn't where they are best.

Richard Baxter, MD

Fraxel repair Will Help Lax Skin of Upper Eyelids

+2

Hi Kitty,

I agree that you should not have eyelid surgery. Of the non-surgical options that you have mentioned, the only one that I have heard any positive results from is Thermage performed properly.

The current best non-surgical option for tightening lax skin of the eyelids is Fraxel repair, a fractionated CO2 laser. The upper lids can be treated alone with very nice results, again when performed properly.

I performed a Fraxel Re:pair treatment on journalist Kate Spicer's eyelids for England's Channel 4 BBC documentary "Super Botox Me". See the web references below.

Good day and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Correction of eyelid asymmetry

+2

There is an asymmetry between your right and left upper eyelids. On your right side there is a prominent and distinct supratarsal crease, this is absent on the left side. You have no ptosis or sagging of the eyelids and have a nice basic shape. At this point I would not recommend a surgical correct. There is a real danger that surgery at this point could make your asymmetry worse. I would not expect that any non-surgical non-ablative therapies would be of any benefit.

Minor blepharoplasty would correct your eyelid asymmetry

+2

Hello Kitty,

You have very nice overall facial symmetry with a fairly minimal difference in your upper eyelids. Your eyebrows are at the same height so I do not think that Botox would offer much advantage in correcting the slight excess skin you note in your left upper eyelid.

Similarly, I do not think that Thermage or other non surgical techniques would provide a reliable change. I think that a minimal left upper eyelid blepharoplasty would make your eyelids have a better match. If you do nothing, you should be proud of your appearance, but if your eyelids bothers you, the surgery could be accomplished fairly simply and safely.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty will improve lid symmetry.

+2

Hi.

1) Your right upper eyelid looks great.  Leave it alone.  I do see a little sagging and fullness in your left lid.

2)  I don't think any of the non surgical like Thermage will help you.

3)  An accurate left upper blepharoplasty would be useful.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)