Will Nonallergic Rhinitis Affect Asian Rhinoplasty?

I have a bad habit of doing bunny noses as well as I have a case of non-allergic rhinitis so I'm constantly sniffing or doing bunny noses. Would it be ok if I still got Rhinoplasty?

Background info: I'm Asian and am looking into adding a little height and making the base a little less flarey.

Nonallergic Rhinitis Won't Preclude Rhinoplasty

+2

Non-allergic Rhinitis won't interfere with rhinoplasty, nor your propensity to make "bunny noses."

Expect some fluctuation in "drippy" and "dry" after your surgery as the membranes in your nose go through the healing process.

Your surgeon should evaluate your airway to see if any corrective procedures might improve your "rhinitis."

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty will be fine, but treat non-allergic rhinitis as well

+2

Non-allergic rhinitis is a common inflammatory condition of the nasal lining which is usually treated with nasal steroid spray. Make sure this is the correct diagnosis (with an ENT doctor if your plastic surgeon isn't sure) and then treat for six weeks prior to surgery to minimize post-operative congestion.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinitis should be controlled before Rhinoplasty.

+2

Are you taking any medication for your "non-allergic rhinitis"? I've fould that topical antihistamine sprays like Patanase are very helpful for sniffling, runny-nose, congestion, and itchy nose.

You should consult a certified ENT to get this controlled since your symptoms will temporarily worsen after surgery (mostly congestion).

When my patients have chronic rhinitis, I may administer an intra-turbinate injection of triamcinolone (steroid) before rhinoplasty surgery to minimize the annoyance of rhinitis during the recovery phase.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinitis, allergies, and rhinoplasty

+2

Jk363,

Rhinoplasty patients should not be rubbing, sneezing, or wrinkling their nose after cosmetic surgery. You should have the rhinitis controlled as much as you can before your elective, cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery. A combination of once daily nasal saline irrigation and nasal steroid spray should help reduced nasal irritation.

Another option is to have Botox cosmetic injected into the "bunny" lines of the nose. Botox will relax those nasal muscles, and prevent negative nasal muscle movements which may adversely affect your rhinoplasty results.

Speak with a nasal specialist / otolaryngologist before your cosmetic facial surgery.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinitis and rhinoplasty

+1

Make sure your rhinitis is not related to nasal valve issues.  If nasal valve issues are not properly diagnosed, then your rhinitis could become worse after rhinoplasty.  Assuming you have an accurate diagnosis of nonallergic rhinitis (which excludes all other sources of rhinitis), then the rhinitis itself could cause prolonged swelling after rhinoplasty and should be treated appropriately with combination medicotherapy by your nasal surgeon.  Hope that helps!

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonallergic rhinitis will not affect the outcome of your rhinoplasty

+1

Nonallergic rhinitis will not affect the outcome of your rhinoplasty.  Sniffling, making bunny noses,etc will not affect the outcome.  Rather, a rhinoplasty MAY make some of these symptoms better.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonallergic rhinitis and Rhinoplasty

+1

Nonallergic rhinitis (NARES) is a diagnosis of exclusion.  It typically does not affect rhinoplasty results.  Allergic rhinitis can cause excessive swelling of the internal and external appearance of the nose and should be treated appropriately.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Effect of nasal allergies on rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a popular and effective surgery to recontour the shape of your nose. For best results, be sure that you notify your plastic surgeon of your history of nasal rhinitis. After the surgery, a flare up of your nasal allergies may cause slight discomfort and difficulty breathing through your nose when this is accompanied by the swelling they may experience after the rhinoplasty itself.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Non-allergic rhinitis will not affect rhinoplasty results

+1

It is acceptable to have a cosmetic rhinoplasty done with allergic rhinitis or nonallergic rhinitis. Both allergic and nonallergic rhinitis can be treated with medical nasal sprays, antihistamines and decongestants quite easily during the pre- and postoperative care period. The chronic rhinitis will not affect the results of the surgery.

Non-allergic rhinitis: Who made the diagnosis?

+1

Non-allergic rhinitis is a physician made diagnosis and I am impressed that you have come up with this term on your own. What are the causes of your rhinitis? It is medication induced such as rhinitis medicamentosa? If so, it could be indicative of nasal congestion with enhanced blood supply that may rebound after surgery and cause a greater potential for stuffiness or bleeding.

It is best to get a better handle on the cause and potential treatments prior to undergoing rhinoplasty.