Non Surgical Vs Surgical Rhinoplasty for Small Bump

Hi, I'd like to improve my nose a little bit. I have a small bump that has always bothered me in profile shots as well as quarter turned shots. Also, I have noticed when I smile, my nostrils seemed to be "pulled up" too much. I really want the BEST option for me. I would love the least invasive, but in the end want the best result. Traditional rhino looks very scary to me! Also, I have read that non surgical results last 2 years. What is a typical price range for this procedure? I'm assuming to maintain my new nose non surgically, may end up costing more in the long run. Is there any assurance that results will look the same after each "touch up"? Thanks so much! Jessica

Most people want smaller noses

+2

Jessica, you ask a great question about a non-surgical rhinoplasty procedure that is generating more and more interest lately. Noone really wants surgery. Who wouldn't want to be able to address his or her nasal concerns non-surgically if possible? It's an enticing idea.

But, as my colleagues have already noted, it is a procedure that is not without potential problems. The skin and tissue surrounding your nose is far different from the facial folds and creases for which these fillers were developed and tested. Because of this, there is a slightly higher chance of skin-related problems afterwards, such as prolonged redness, bumpiness, or rarely more serious injury to the skin. That's why it's critical to see a rhinoplasty specialist to do what is possible to avoid these problems if you go the non-surgical route.

We've written extensively on this topic in our blog. Perhaps the most important aspect to understand is that most people interested in a change to their noses want the bump removed and a smaller nose in general. Non-surgical rhinoplasty works by filling in low points or depressions. It can only make your nose bigger. So, a bump is removed by filling in around it and creating a higher profile overall. This might appeal to some people but the majority of people, in my opinion, would probably benefit more from bringing the bump down instead of the rest of the profile up. It all boils down to aesthetics. Injection rhinoplasty is probably a better choice for a nose with a very specific contour defect such as a little divot where filler might make sense.

Good luck with your decision.

Nonsurgical rhinoplasty is not a good idea if you are contemplating a rhinoplasty procedure.

+1

Nonsurgical rhinoplasty is not a good idea if you are contemplating a rhinoplasty procedure. The injections into the nose will alter the shape of the nose for several years, and it is difficult to predict where the rhinoplasty will end up changing the shape of the nose if it is continuing to change based on an injection that was done one year prior. It is best to just undergo the rhinoplasty surgery, which usually costs between $5,000 to $6,000.

I agree

+1

I would agree with both Dr. Rand and Dr. Persky. A consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon is definitely in order. Dr. Toriumi is an excellent resource but I would also agree that getting a second opinion is always a good idea before going down the road of rhinoplasty.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

All are good questions

+1

You have asked many good questions.  Since you live in Chicago, I would suggest you ask them directly to Dr. Dean Toriumi who is a world class rhinoplasty surgeon and could really help you sort the whole thing out.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Permanent Rhinoplasty Versus Quick Fix Temporary Filler Injection In the Nose

+1

Hi Jessica,

I would recommend seeing a qualified, board certified rhinoplastic surgeon. In Chicago you are fortunate to have some of the world's best. Consult with a few surgeons regarding a surgical rhinoplasty. Your nose is in the middle of your face, and it cannot be covered up with clothing if something goes wrong.

The "non-surgical" injection of filler into the nose has nothing to do with rhinoplasty. It is a quick non-surgical fix that adds filler to camouflage bumps and irregularities. It is not without possible complications and long term swelling and possible scar tissue formation which then makes corrective rhinoplasty more difficult. If you do choose this option, again make sure that you are treated by a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD