Non Surgical Treatment for Silicone Granulomas?

Hi,

Is it possible to treat silicone granulomas non surgically?

Silicone granulomas

+2

Silicone granulomas can develop from reactions to the silicone or impurities mixed with the silicone.  They are usually best treated with surgery.  Other treatments are not as effective.

No easy answers and increases over time

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Surgery is the only effective treatment for silicone granulomas

+1

Unfortunately, there is no non-invasive way to fix silicone granulomas. Your best bet is to work with a board certified plastic surgeon who can recommend excision techniques that will leave scars in less noticeable locations on your skin.

Silicone lumps, nodules, granulomas

+1

Silicone is a theoretically inert soft tissue filler that has attracted a lot of attention over the last three decades. The ease of injection and the myth of 'permanence with low risk' is an attraction to patients who want an easy answer. I have treated countless patients with silicone complications from all over the world and it remains a difficult task that has no easy answer.

In essence, an experienced surgeon should offer a comprehensive timeline with a multidisciplinary approach that includes surgery and non-invasive procedures to reduce the inflammatory, infectious, and volume conditions associated with silicone.

Treatment can be difficult, but possible, for silicone granulomas.