Best Non-surgical Treatment to Lift Skin and Build Collagen?

I only have 2 wrinkles around the mouth and 1-2 on forehead. What I do have is facial sagging especially around the nasolabial fold. What is best for lifting? Are there any creams that work?

Only three treatments scientifically proven to increase collagen

+3

For your particular situation, as always consultation with a qualified physician is your best option. On a more general question of building collagen, there was a recent article in the New York times about collagen rejuvenation (August 18,2008 available online). The article was cited a review in The Archives of Dermatology which indicated that there were only 3 treatments scientifically proven effective at increasing collagen: topical application of retinol, carbon dioxide laser resurfacing, and injection of hyaluronic acid. Though these were the only treatments with studies, the theory should also hold for other laser ablative resurfacing modalities and probably other injectibles.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining Treatments Are Best

+3

Laser resurfacing (CO2 or plasma resurfacing) is the best way to tighten skin and rebuild collagen, but still has a significant down time. If it is a no down time treatment that you are looking for then a combination of treatments should be considered.

First, skin tightening and lifting can be performed using a Thermage radiofrequency treatment. This treatment can help lift the cheeks and better define the jawline and does stimulate some new collagen under the skin. Another option is the Affirm Multiplex laser that combines a fractional laser to resurface and smooth the skin surface while also penetrating deeper to heat and tighten the deep portions of the skin.

Second, add some fillers to the cheeks or jawline to plump, fill and restore lost volume to the face to lift and fill. Radiesse, Perlane for short term filling (8-12 months) or Fat transfer, Sculptra, or Artefill for longer lasting results (>1yr).

By tightening skin and filling from underneath you can achieve a really great non-surgical lift and avoid the downtime.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Perlane injections for facial sagging

+2

Perlane injections can make a dramatic difference in restoring the facial volume, balance, and harmony. We use Perlane injection to the cheeks and surrounding area to have an instant mid-face lift, and improve the nasolabial fold area. These injections are also helpful for the patients who had too much fillers in the area of the fold itself, to the point that it distorts their midface. Cheek injections can help bring back the facial balance and youthful contours.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Best Non-surgical treatment to lift skin and build collagen

+1
There are three answers here, and I believe that all three are needed to give you your best result. I am speaking about those pesky nasolabial folds, often called the marionette lines.The first answer is tightening the cheeks because the folds are not just deepening but falling down. You can tighten and lift the cheeks with Ultherapy.

The second answer is to tighten the folds as well. For tightening the around the mouth folds and lines we are using a new treatment, ThermiSmooth, which takes skin tightening around the eyes, mouth and neck to a whole new dimension. ThermiSmooth is a new generation of smart technologies that uses precisely controlled radiofrequency energy (RF) combined with Thermal Image Monitoring™, to gain precision and greater effectiveness and in return gives you the best tightening response.

The third answer is fillers, most likely Juvederm UltraPlus XC. Ultherapy and ThermiSmooth are great tightening tools but they don’t fill and fillers don’t tighten. Together they will fill and tighten for the results you’ll love.

Douglas J. Key, MD
Portland Dermatologic Surgeon

Lifting without surgery

+1

Radiofrequency (RF) delivered under the skin can increase collagen and tighten sagging facial skin. I had a Thermage machine for patients treating mainly 35 to 50 year age group however the newer INFINI MACHINE is superior delivering RF under the skin by a micro needling contact handpiece. Two day redness and 3 treatments one month apart.

Darryl J. Hodgkinson, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy Best for Facial Skin Tightening

+1

Thank you for your question. I would suggest Ultherapy for facial skin tightening. Ultherapy deposits focused ultrasound energy below the surface of the skin to stimulate the body’s creation of new collagen. As a result, skin will actually begin to lift and tone over time. Collagen is a natural protein that gives skin its youthfulness by keeping it firmed, toned and elastic. Plus, the treatment is completely non-invasive and does not require downtime. I have seen excellent results with the treatment.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Best Non-Surgical Treatment to Lift Skin and Build Collagen

+1

Non-surgical wrinkle improvement should be divided into two categories:  The use of topicals OR wrinkle improvement using laser or a similar technology.  Injectables don't really enhance collagen production and should probably not be considered in this discussion.  Relative to the use of topicals, I have found that Retinoids in combination with other topicals is probably the best choice.  The topicals that I find have the most promise are the tri-peptides which are now just entering the market.  As far as using laser you must first determine the amound of downtime you are willing to accept.  If you want NO downtime what so ever, then Peleve ( radiofrequency technology)is your best choice.   If you will accept a two day downtime then a Profractional laser I find is the best choice.  If you are willing to accept a 10 day to 12 days recovery I prefer the Erbium laser. But of course the factors that will contribute to your result are dependent on many factors including your skin type, life style and history of sun exposure. It is strongly suggested that a plan be developed for each person relative to the factors outlined above. Good Luck

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon