Non-surgical Nose Job on a Child for Very Low Nose Bridge?

For a 12 year old child with a very low nose bridge, is it possible to inject some sort of filler to raise the nose height until after age 16, by which time, presumably, his growth would have more or less stablized, and a Rhinoplasty surgery can then be an option? This way, change in his nose shape doesn't happen dramatically overnight plus he doesn't have to wait 6 long years to feel better about his nose. Please advise.

Injectable Nasal Augmentation in a 12 year old ...

+2

It certainly is possible to inject fillers in the nose of a 12 year old. And this procedure would likely not interfer with the growth of the nose.

Still, I would be very hesitant to do this and it would require VERY compelling reasons to go ahead with the procedure at such an early age.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal surgery on a 12 year?

+1

The short answer is it can be done. There was a time when any nasal surgery on children was thought to be a bad idea. Mainly because of concerns about adversely affecting normal facial development. However with time, the general consensus has shifted and now its not thought to be malpractice to perform nasal surgery on preteens. Much of this attitude change should be accredited to Dr Crysdale from Toronto. So injecting a temporary tissue filler can be done without undue risk to the child. 

However should an injectable rhinoplasty be done is another question that needs to be addressed. The question surgeons would have to the parents is 'why are you considering this?'. At 12 years old, the parents are still responsible for making these medical decisions, with the input of the child. Once this question is satisfactorily answered, it will be clear whether it proceed or wait.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injectable fillers not recommended for non-surgical nose job

+1

There have been multiple disastrous complications associated with injectable fillers placed in the nose and is not advisable to have fillers injected into the nose at this time. It would be best to have a formal rhinoplasty performed when your son is the appropriate age of 16 years.

Rhinoplasty in 12 Year Old

+1

I have occasionally done nasal surgery on young boys with inherited or traumatic deformities with severe breathing obstruction. But no, not for cosmetic reasons. If I saw this child, I would want to know if the bridge bothered the patient or the parents. It is best to wait until he is mature enough to make his own decisions regarding aesthetic surgery.

Is it ok to do a non-surgical nose job on a child?

+1

No it is not. Children at the age of 12 are still growing and are going to go through puberty, where the growth spurt will change the shape and size of their nose. It is not advisable to try and alter the nose during that time... even with a non-surgical procedure. You should wait until after puberty to consider any such procedure. However, it there is a real concern about the shape of the nose and a flattened nose, it would be a good idea to have a craniofacial plastic surgeon assess your child. I certainly agree with the other physicians that have recommended this. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Non-surgical nose job

+1

I would leave a 12 year old alone.  I would not recommend fillers to raise the dorsum in a child.  Besides, the child's nose will grow during puberty. 

Non Surgical Rhinoplasty

+1

No way leave the kid alone.  I would not do any cosmetic procedure on a 12 year old, especially injectables.  The child needs to be evaluated by a craniofacial surgeon like the other plastic surgeon mentioned.

He may have some underlying pathology that you may not know about.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Rabbit, are you kidding?

+1

If the child's nasal deformity is so severe that it is causing him emotional distress you should have him evaluated by a craniofacial surgeon. There may be a complex of facial bone deformities and bite concerns to be addressed. At worst (or best), he will be told that he is a normally developing boy. Be sure the concerns are his and not yours.

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Hold off on Non-surgical Rhinoplasty till after puberty.

+1

There are no guidelines regarding a minimum age requirement for using Injectable Fillers in your child's nose. The youngest child I've treated to date is a 16 year old, and his pictures are attached.

Feel free to email / post your child's photo and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical nosejob for a child

+1

No, not a good idea. The injection of any material can cause scarring. It can hamper the normal growth and/or make the rhinoplasty more difficult.

If you were to still proceed I would certainly stick with hyaluronic acid injections only, i.e., Juvederm and Restylane.

The bigger concern I have is that why the child is so conscious and upset about it. At 12 years of age if the child is so concerned about the nose it might point out to some underlying unaddressed pscyhological issues. If there is any chance this could be the case, please make sure you get the proper counselling for the child.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon