Non Surgical Lift Options for Patient with Face Paralysis?

Hi, I am 32 yrs old. I had face paralysis about 5 yrs ago and left synkinesis on one side which destroyed my beautiful smile and of course, slightly sagging on the same side.

It bothers me a lot. I thought about Facelifting but one of the aesthetician told me I am still young for that. I really feel self-conscious so I am thinking about having non-surgery face lifting like "Happy Lift" or something similar. If you can suggest something, I can research it at least. I appreciate for any answers. Regards.

Treating Facial Paralysis and Synkinesis

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been dealing with facial paralysis for the past 5 years. It’s important to find a doctor like myself who is a true facial nerve expert. I have a distinct understanding of both the aesthetics and function of the facial nerve, which is crucial for providing patients with the best possible results. It’s definitely possible to help restore your smile and eliminate the facial sagging that you are concerned about. I would need to see you for a consultation to determine exactly what you are a candidate for, but generally my patients benefit the most from a variety of different treatment options. There are many surgeries that can treat your facial paralysis while also offering the lifting effect that you are looking for. Botox injections and facial physical therapy compliment surgery by helping to coordinate your facial muscles and make them stronger. I strongly recommend having a consultation with a facial nerve expert before proceeding with any surgical or non-surgical treatments for your facial sagging. Treating patients who have facial paralysis is complex and requires a very high level of expertise. If you are interested in learning more feel free to email me at or call (310) 657-2203.

Non-surgical options to make the face "even"

Your best correction would be achieved through a combination of Botox and facial injections.  Botox was first used for many patients who suffered from neurologic diseases and strokes.  Please consult an experienced injector for the best results.

Facial synkinesis and spasm treatments

Facial synkinesis and spasm around the mouth can be improved with targeted Botox injections into the muscles creating the spasm. Usually this involves injecting the mentalis (chin muscle), zygomaticus major and minor (muscles that pull up the nasolabial fold), and depressor anguli oris (muscle that pulls down the corner of the mouth).  Also, there are wonderful biofeedback techniques that can be taught by a physical therapist specially trained in facial nerve injury rehabilitation.  Good luck!  Minas Constantinides, MD

Minas Constantinides, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and fillers, the non surgical facelift, can restore symmetry to facial expression affected by nerve damage

Botox and fillers, the non surgical facelift, can restore symmetry to facial expression affected by nerve damage. 

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Facial Paralysis Options Different From Regular Facelift

While under normal circumstances 32 would be too young for a facelift, in your case, it may not be. The biggest problem that you will have is that you have synkinesis which will limit the ability of any static procedure to produce natural results. Before undertaking a non-surgical facelift alternative, I would highly suggest visiting with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Facial plastic surgeons have a background in otolaryngology, which is the specialty that deals with facial paralysis at the onset of symptoms.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon