Nonsurgical Breast Enlargement and Enhancement

I had a breast reduction but I feel that the surgeon took off too much from my breasts. I thought I was doing the right thing, but I later found out it was unnecessary; I went to my primary care physician, and I was told that all I had to do was lose weight and my breast would have went down. My breast are now too small for my body size. Are there any non-surgical options for increasing my breast size?

Non-surgical breast augmentation is not possible.

+2

Hi.

You must be very upset now that you have had a breast reduction and your breasts are too small.  I am afraid your only realistic options are to live the way you are or to have a breast augmentation with small breasts implants.  I know that's not what you wanted to hear!

+1
There is no safe/effective medication, cream, herbs, or nonsurgical  method to significantly increase breast size. Be careful about believing heavily marketed “miracles" that you will undoubtedly read/hear about.   Best wishes.

There are at present no non-surgical ways to increase breast size.

+1

If your breasts are too small after reduction, you have only one choice and that is breast augmentation to gain volume.  This is a simple and safe operation. If you don't want to go this route, for now you will have to learn to live with your breasts, as is.  Anything else is a waste of money.

Returning breast size after breast reduction

+1

The Brava external compression system can increase breast density but it does stretch the skin as well which can result in some droop with the increase in size.  The goal of surgery is to attempt a size correction and a droop correction.   Other than augmentation, no other measures will be helpful.  Some comments on the patient  who feels the breasts have been overly reduced:

The patient who is well above their reasonable body weight is often asked to  to lose weight if possible, before breast reduction.  When the breasts are uncomfortably large at a high body weight,  the displeasure of  large breasts adds to the problem of being overweight.  Studies report that heavier patients can obtain relief and improved esteem with breast reduction and that the weight of reduction does not relate to relief of symptoms. 

Sometimes just taking some breast weight off will make a difference. This can be 200-400gm per breast, but insurance companies have internal codes that usually stop  benefits for estimated reductions in this range. Each company is different.  Therefore, many patients who may benefit from small reductions cannot get vital insurance support. 

The doctor tries to provide the best reduction for each patient but goes to surgery with the fear that if the reduction is too small on the operating table, that the insurance company will penalize him or her and deny payment well after the surgery is performed. Without the insurance hammer hanging over the surgeon's head, the surgeon can better customize smaller reductions which have the same satisfaction as for the patients with enormous reductions.

Patients in the childbearing age and who may have weight to lose are advised that in time a lift or secondary tightening may be necessary, and that sudden changes in weight, (as following a facelift), will clearly undo any tightening intended by the surgery.  The patient with burdensome breasts may be so tired of the weight that they insist on a B or small C cup vision, but in fact the harmony of the breasts with the body------ as you describe, is most important.. The surgeon intuitively tries not to overly reduce the breasts,  but provide relief of symptoms, and an improved breast-body relationship.  Sometimes we don't remove enough as well.

Some of the recent  methods of reduction use the existing breast in folded and suspended fashion to help support the breast from the inside, and this reduces the size by compacting things.  For this reason we often leave more breast tissue anticipating this internal compacting and the settling plus loss of swelling that occurs over months to years.  We can never get things perfect, but we work to do so.  

The vast literature regarding breast reduction does not include private discussions with surgeons who did insert small implants at the time of reduction. These surgeons realized, some patients complained of  volume and lift loss after a proper reduction.  The risks of combined operations is well known, and of course insurance companies would not be supportive.  The massively breasted woman may not realize the profound technical effort to reduce large breasts, and that we truly do not have a crystal ball to predict the match between absolute patient satisfaction and standard technical success.

We all see patients from time to time who may wish a secondary enlargement to restore the mindset of bountiful breasts that are not exaggeratedly large. 

Donn Hickman, MD

Non-surgical breast enhancement

+1

There are very few if any non-surgical alternatives to breast enhancement. Obviously, you hit on one thing: weight gain. However, this will cause weight gain in other body parts as well. The Brava system is basically a suction cup like device which is placed on the breasts for several hours and it recruits skin and may increase the cup size by 100-150 cc's at most. Breast enlargement surgery using implants is really the only way to truly augment the size of the breasts.

Not all that easy to change breast size without surgery

+1

There are several issues regarding breast reduction that are raised by your question. However, to answer your question specifically, there are a couple of options, but a bit controversial. There is a Brava system, which I have no experience with, that basically is touted to increase breast size through a suction technique that you wear at night for several months.

I am not endorsing this but simply making you aware that it exists. Secondly, fat transfer, which is strictly a surgical procedure, may be an option but is also controversial in the plastic surgery community and you should get several opinions on this. Ultimately, a small implant may be your best option although it is surgery and an implant.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Not really

+1

The Brava system can possibly add a very small amount of volume back to your breasts but is very cumbersome to use and the results are quite limited. Fat injections are of interest but the exact safety and proper techniques have not yet been worked out. Basically, the best way to resolve your problem would be with a well performed breast augmentation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS