Non-surgical Acne and Acne Scar Treatments?

I have acne and acne scars on my arms, between my shoulders and elbows. How can I get rid of them without any type of surgical or laser treatment? I'm on a tight budget.

Scar treatment options

+1

The reality about scar treatment is disheartening. You will spend lots of money on ineffective creams, pills and potions that simply dont work and prey on your "desire" rather than on reality. There is no strong consistent science for any medical treatment for acne scars. The best advice is to live with the scars and focus on all your other attributes which outweigh the significance of a few small scars. This will save you money and will avoid frustration down the road.

On the other hand, there are dermatology and plastic surgery experts on treating scars with minimal surgical techniques in the office. Search them out and a trusted one will be honest with you regarding realistic expectations, there is no across the board "rule" of treatment that applies to everyone. Rather it is an individualized treatment approach varying by practitioner and patient based upon skill set of practitioner and degree of scarring and skin type of patient. Visit www.ASDS.org to find a dermatologist that is board certified and verify their experience in treating scars before engaging them.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Tight budget will limit options

+1

The best option is likely Fraxel Restore, and unfortunately, this is an expensive treatment series. Chemical peels help discolored scars, but not indented ones. The Restore is safe off the face, while other lasers may not be. I would go see an experienced dermatologist in your area who is familiar with options, risks, benefits, etc to guide you.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

A series of light chemical peels may help you

+1

If the scars are not depressed below the skin surface, a series of light chemical peels may help you. Light peels not only even out the pigmentation, but also decrease the tendency to form new acne leasions.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon