Removing Non Raised Mole on Lip?

Should I get a non raised mole on the lip removed? I have recently developed a greyish brown, non raised/flat mole on my lower lip. My GP wants to remove it in the office. Should I be worried about scaring?

Mole removal

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment. 

Your Options

+1

You have a number of options here.  First, providing it is not suspicious for a skin cancer, you have the option of doing nothing.  Otherwise, this can be removed with a thin shave (like taking a thin layer of skin off).  It is possible it can be treated with liquid nitrogen.  Sometimes a vein can come up to the surface on the lip.  This is called a venous lake.  It is usually purple, but can look gray.  If you press on the spot and the color disappears, you are likely dealing with that.  If so, electrocautery can remove it.  All these procedures typically heal fine without scarring.

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

Treating mole on lip

+1

I would see a dermatologist for a proper diagnosis since this may not be a mole, but rather a sun freckle ("lentigo") which could respond beautifully to gentle liquid nitrogen cryotherapy with no scar.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon