Non Laser Treatment for Spider Veins?

Do you need to do Sclerotherapy or Laser therapy to get rid of spider veins? Is there some sort of cream besides make-up?

What are my treatment options for spider veins on the legs ?

There are several that are used quite effectively. 

In better than 95% of cases, I use sclerotherapy to treat the 'feeder veins' and also to get rid of the spider and reticular veins.

If the spider veins are very fine (1-2 mm), long pulsed lasers are very effective Nd YAG or KTP. 

Gold standard is still sclerotherapy or laser.

The gold standard for spider vein treatment is still either sclerotherapy or laser.  If the vein is large enough to accommodate a very small needle then sclerotherapy is preferred. Creams are only a camouflage.  There are many natural products out there such as horse chestnut, blueberries, diosmin and escin which are purported to improve vein tone and vein health but there is no scientific data to support this.  

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy injections or laser

Spider veins do not resolve spontaneously. They keep getting more numerous with time. Sclerotherapy is the most commonly performed treatment for these tiny veins; but,  it the vessel is too small to allow a needle to enter, then laser can be done. 

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy still is best for spider veins of the legs

OTC creams do very little for spider veins of the legs. Arnica is one such cream. Sclerotherapy injections are still the best. They run about $350-450 per session and usually require 2-3 monthly sessions. Lasers are getting better but still are not great for the leg spider veins. IPL and lasers do great for spider veins of the face though.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for spider veins

I am not aware of any topical agents that are effective for treating spider veins. If you are concerned about the pain associated with sclerotherapy or laser treatment, laser treatments generally are more painful (and generally less effective) than sclerotherapy treatments. Furthermore, there are certain sclerosing agents that cause only minimal discomfort with injection. I would review these options with a qualified cosmetic physician.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Creams for spider veins do not work

All the over the counter products for spider veins do not achieve any improvement. The only real way to take care of the vessels is laser or sclerotherapy. These treatment are very successful in improving the appearance of your legs. No therapy is a permanent fix, so you will need followup treatments in the future.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD
Orland Park Plastic Surgeon