Non-invasive Option to Treat Dark Circles Under the Eyes?
- Asked by Dark Circles in UK
- 4 years ago
I have really bad dark circles under my eyes and I am 19. I have asked my GP about them and she told me they are probably genetic. My father has them too. I sleep well, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, drink 1.5-2 liters of water per day and they are still there! I have tried putting cucumbers, tea bags and other home remedies but to no avail.
I have been reading lately that IPL can reduce dark circles under eyes. What are the types of laser treatments that can fix this problem? I know there are more invasive methods, but I want something that isn't very dangerous but is still effective.
Best laser for dark circles depends on the cause
Most common causes of dark circles under the eyes are:
- Thin eyelid skin-the color of the eye muscle-purple-shows through
- Pigment-from sun exposure or racial skin type
- Small blood vessels-venules and capillaries-near the skin impart a blue color
- The arcus deformity or deep naso-jugal fold-a structural problem
- Puffy eyes or eye bags creating a shadow beneath the lower eyelid
IPL can close very small blood vessels and remove pigment and can be helpful in these cases.
Removal of excess lower eyelid fat and repositioning or grafting the fat into the arcus deformity or naso-jugal fold can help a great deal--this is best done through a tiny laser incision on the inside of the eyelid called the transconjunctival approach.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.