Non-invasive Option to Treat Dark Circles Under the Eyes?

I have really bad dark circles under my eyes and I am 19. I have asked my GP about them and she told me they are probably genetic. My father has them too. I sleep well, don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, drink 1.5-2 liters of water per day and they are still there! I have tried putting cucumbers, tea bags and other home remedies but to no avail.

I have been reading lately that IPL can reduce dark circles under eyes. What are the types of laser treatments that can fix this problem? I know there are more invasive methods, but I want something that isn't very dangerous but is still effective.

Best laser for dark circles depends on the cause

+1
Dark circles under the eyes can be caused by many different problems and the best treatment will depend on the underlying cause.

Most common causes of dark circles under the eyes are:

• Thin eyelid skin-the color of the eye muscle-purple-shows through
  • Pigment-from sun exposure or racial skin type
  • Small blood vessels-venules and capillaries-near the skin impart a blue color
  • The arcus deformity or deep naso-jugal fold-a structural problem
  • Puffy eyes or eye bags creating a shadow beneath the lower eyelid

IPL can close very small blood vessels and remove pigment and can be helpful in these cases.

Non-ablative fractional lasers such as the Lux1540 can plump or thicken the dermis and remove deeper pigment but 4-5 treatments are necessary and results are not dramatic.

Removal of excess lower eyelid fat and repositioning or grafting the fat into the arcus deformity or naso-jugal fold can help a great deal--this is best done through a tiny laser incision on the inside of the eyelid called the transconjunctival approach.