No Results from IPL?

I had 2 IPL treatments. I am 24 with some new signs of sun damage. I was trying to correct the sundamage as well as PIH marks (red in color). My skin is not very dry and flaky. It has been almost 6 weeks since my last treatment. Is this normal or could it be something else? I also use Cleocin-T lotion and sulfacetamide at night, and my sunblock is Blue Lizard Face. Also, the brown spot I was targeting did not get any lighter and actually looks darker. Thanks for your help!

Two tretments may not be enough

+1

Hello

At our Santa Rosa plastic surgery practice, we tell patients that they are likely not going to see results unless they complete a series of 4 or 5 IPL treatments. Being very agressive in one or two sessions can backfire with a burn. It is better to do 4 or 5 cautious treatments and see the results then.

Make sure you return to your doctor and explain that you are not seeing much in results. They should have before and after photos of you to show you. Sometimes we forget what we look like and are amazed when a photo shows us that there has actually been improvement.

If there is no imporvement yet, do not give up. Do an additional 2 sessions and re-evaluate. Best of luck.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Maybe needs more energy

+1

Perhaps, the practioner did not turn the parameters up high enough or use the proper settings. Some machines do not work as well as others The paractioner might "template" out the dark spot. This way you could have more energy placed into that lesion. Definitely return and tell them of your concerns. It sounds like this is an instance when they could have been a bit more aggresive, but it is always better to err the side of caution than receive a burn.

Incidentally, if you have read a few of my posts or listened to our radio show you would know that I am a big fan of Blue Lizard Face cream. Good choice (among other good choices).

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist