No Milk Coming out After Breast Augmentation?

I had my breast augmentation about 4 years ago, and I gave birth to my daughter 8 days ago. My milk has still not come in. I am NOT planning on breast feeding, but does this mean that the milk is not going to come at all?

Lactation after breast augmentation

+2

Thanks for the great question -

It is difficult to say. Some women who were previously able to breast feed find themselves unable to breast feed with subsequent births even without any surgery so there is a percentage of women who can have problems breast feeding even without surgery.

That being said most experts put the chance of not being able to lactate after breast implant surgery at 5-10%.

I hope this helps!

Breast augmentation and Lactation,Dr N.Kapositas,Athens,Greece

+1
I have done many breast augmentation procedures in a great number of single women who got married later and had children using the 5th generation (Cohesive I,II) of mentor implants witout any problem of lactation so far.The causes of breast feeding problems are many and may have not been related with breast implants.Many authors beleive that the input of the implant via the nipple-areola complex may influence breast feeding in some cases.
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and milk production

+1

Although some tissue may have been divided to place the implant in the correct pocket, most women can still produce milk. It is difficult to predict why some do and some can not even without having implants. Ask your ob/gyn or nurse.

Lactation Consultant Can Be Helpful

+1

Breast augmentation implants are placed behind all of the breast tissue and usually with little or no interruption of breast ducts. In spite of this, there are women who are unable to breast-feed following surgery. The correlation is there, but the cause is unknown.

Since you have not noticed milk production yet, I suggest you contact a lactation consultant. Your OB doctor should be a good source of references. Since breast implants are quite common, she should be able to give you a better idea what to expect.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Can never guarantee breast function following breast augmentation

+1

You can never guarantee breast function following breast augmentation. Studies have shown that 7 to 10% of women are unable to breast feed. There is a concern that following a breast augmentation the ability to breast feed could be effected. In my practice it is rare to see a patient following breast augmentation that has problems in this area. It is basically an unknown. There is definitely a brain component to breast feeding and it is more than just having intact nerves, milk glands and ducts.

Got Milk?

+1

Sydney,

The question is, did you have enough breast tissue to breast feed in the first place? Some women simply do not and cannot produce enough milk despite having breast augmentation. Unfortunately, it is a question that can never be answered, unless of course, you have your implants removed and have another baby to see if removing the pressure of the implants allows you to produce milk. From my recollection of obstetrics, sometimes it may take several days of nipple stimulation before milk production (lactation) begins. So, there may still be a chance that you will lactate. I would defer that question to your obstetrician. Good luck and enjoy your daughter!

Breast augmentation does reduce your chances of successful breast feeding somewhat.

+1

Hi!  A number of women have this problem, with or without implants.  So you may never know the role of your breast augmentation, if any.  Most likely, your milk is not going to come.  But you were not going to breast feed anyway, so it's alright!

Probably not

+1

Although it is possible, as days go by, it is less likely. It is a great question to ask your OB. Have you been able to breast feed previously? If you have previously breast fed, the lack of mild, may (or may) not be related to the impalnts. If you have never tried brest feeding, you have no baseline.

Other possible resources to you would inlude the La Leche League.

Best to you.

scottkinfw@msn.com

www.drkasden.us

Pressure from implants may decrease milk availability.

+1

In my practice, most of the women that have undergone breast augmentation surgery have been able to breast feed if they chose to. However, some women just don't produce that much milk, with or without implants. Firstly, you may or may not have the natural tendancy to produce a lot of milk. Secondly, your breast implants may be putting pressure on the glands, thereby reducing the amount of milk you produce. If it is your desire to not produce milk, you can increase the pressure on the glands and further discourage the milk from coming in by wearing a tight sports bra.

Good luck and enjoy your new baby girl!

Talk to a lactation nurse.

+1

Breast augmentation, even if done through a periareolar incision should not affect milk production after childbirth. Some women just have problems nursing. Call your OB and have them reccomend a lactation nurse or counselor. There are help groups for this.