Why Was There No Change in Nose After Rhinoplasty?

2 months after open Rhinoplasty, why does my nose look the same? I had open Rhinoplasty (alar base reduction, tip refinment, and nostrils were narrowed) but it does not seem to look that different from my old nose.

People at work and even my own father can not tell, I did not want it to be so obvious but I did want a subtle change.

My nose still looks broad and wide especially around the end of the tip. Will time REALLY change the appearance that much or am I stuck with my new nose looking A LOT like my old one?

Be well and thank you,
MISS MIAMI.

Noticeable Appearance after Rhinoplasty

+2

I find that many patients, especially when subtle changes are desired, find it hard to see a difference after having a procedure. However, after 4-6 months, when all of the residual swelling has resolved, your surgeon can take pictures and compare the before and afters. Oftentimes patients are quite surprised about the difference.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Be Patient, Rhinoplasty Results Can Take Time to Become Apparent

+2

Be patient. Rhinoplasty results can take time to become apparent, especially if only subtle changes were made. The amount of swelling and how long it persists after rhinoplasty depends on several factors such as the surgeon's technique, open versus closed approach, whether the nasal bones were broken, and the number of prior nasal surgeries.

Patients in whom open rhinoplasty techniques were used, cases in which the nasal bones were broken, and a history of one or more previous nasal surgeries often will have more prolonged swelling.

During the first week, most patients will have moderate swelling . Usually, by the end of the second week, much of the bruising and swelling have subsided to the point that it is not obvious to the casual observer that the patient has had surgery.

However, the nose will look swollen or puffy to the patient for 3 to 4 months. It usually takes a full year for the residual swelling to resolve and the final result be apparent.

Web reference: http://rhinoplasty-usa.com/html/meet-dr-cochran.html

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

"No change" after rhinoplasty at two months--be patient!

+1

My colleagues and I all agree, at two months things are still very much evolving to your final result, which will take 6-12 months to be fully seen. Also, your memory does tend to deceive you, particularly if the changes have been subtle and surgically finessed! This actually shows restraint and conservatism by your surgeon, which in many if not most cases is a good thing.

Be patient with your recovery, and return to see your surgeon to compare before and after photos at 6 months post-op. I predict you will be pleasantly surprised! Best wishes.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

No Change Rhinoplasty

+1

We quickly forget what the old nose looked like. You know you still have swelling at two months after surgery. Look at the pre-operative pictures with your surgeon. You may be very surprised with early changes, and this can give some insight into the ultimate appearance of your new nose. 

It depends on the surgeon and the surgery.

+1

The nose takes 6-12 months for the swelling to go down. This is way too early to think about the final shape. Especially in subtle rhinoplasty. Relax and wait and you will see the change.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.