I had a breast augmentation 7 days ago. Hain has increased, surgeon was dismissive and I'm not sure why. (Photo)

I had sub muscular breast augmentation 7 days ago. I am 5'6 115 pounds with 450cc implants. I was a small a. The day after i was up and around feeling pretty much ok. Since yesterday I have been in much more pain than previous. A lot of my pain is being felt under my arm area..( near my lat), as well as my pec area. I went and saw my surgeon today and he was extremely dismissive and basically told me that he wouldn't have any idea why I'm hurting there. Im upset and in pain and wondering why?

Increased Pain In SubPec Breast Aug At Six Days - Why?

+3
There is a confluence of events that occurs about the 5th or 6th day post surgery that leads to a great deal of discomfort (pain). 

Swelling post surgery has a crescendo (high point), nerve endings start firing (painful), the pectoralis muscle hurts because it has been cut off the 5th rib and also because it is stretched over an implant, and the latissimus dorsi muscle aches because it is overworking (since the pectoralis muscle normally balances the latissimus muscle). 

All of these physical phenomena are augmented by the emotional component.  Almost any cosmetic surgery, but certainly breast augmentations, in today's world, most patients are hoping for the best but certainly worried about complications.  It is human nature to think if it hurts, something has gone wrong. 

At this point, you need to take a deep breath and understand this is a painful, swollen, emotional time.  Give your surgery and your breasts a break.  Give it a couple more weeks and I'll bet that you'll feel much better.

As a sidebar note, the reason things hurt in the armpit is because the pectoralis major and the latissimus dorsi muscles both insert into the upper part of the humerus bone (upper arm bone) right about the level of the armpit.  Therefore, pain is referred to the armpit which may explain your pain in that area at this time.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

This is normal

+2
I'm sorry you are having difficulty. You should call and talk to your surgeon's coordinator or nurse and let them know your thoughts. It's entirely normal to have muscular pain that can last for 3-6 weeks after a sub muscular augmentation, especially going for an Acup to 450cc implants. If pain is significant, sometimes a muscle relaxer helps for a couple of weeks. You should be examined by your surgeon, as there are other causes of pain and swelling. You appear to have asymmetry on your photo also and that should bs addressed by your surgeon. 

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

You are probably fine

+2
You have big implants and  the doctor had to make large pockets to accommodate them.  If your skin was also tight this can cause more pain than usual.  As long as both sides look similar and you have about the same amount of discomfort on both sides you are probably fine.  Surgeons are more concerned about disproportionate pain on one side that could mean an accumulation of blood within the pocket (a hematoma).  If you saw your doctor yesterday he would have ruled that out. 

David A. Hidalgo, MD