Is There Any Way to Get Rid if Scar Tissue Around Belly Button? (photo)

I had a full TT, hernia repair,and muscle repair on Feb 1 2013. I am very hapoy with my results, however i have a red ring around my belly button that is a bit raised as well. My PR told me to rub it aggressively which I have been doing but so far see no improvement. Are there any scar creams or anything else I can do to improve this?

Is there a way to improve the belly button scar after abdominoplasty?

+1

You need to give the elixir of time a chance to do it's majic. You should give it six months to a year. If the scar doesn't go away or is still significant, there is a way to reduce the size of the umbilicus and bring it deeper so that it is not visible.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Time and Local Treatments

+1

You should expect some improvement with time even if you don't do anything.  On the other hand, I have found that using pressure combined with silicone gel provides the best possible results and also always patients to do something proactive during the early phase of healing.  

Eric Sadeh, MD

Umbilical scar after tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

This is the scar that results from "repopping" your belly button through the redraped skin.

It is true that the scar will fade with time but the color of the belly button skin is usually different than the color of the abdominal redraped skin (slightly).  Because of this, it is better to have less belly button skin showing as it seems in your picture.

I think the best approach is to allow time to go by and see if there is any appearance that you do not like.  If not, there are umbilicoplasty approaches that can help very much.  Talk to your p.s.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Time needed for scars to resolve

+1

An umbilical scar is normal following an abdominoplasty.   You are still very early in the healing process.  Give this more time and the redness will resolve.  

Umbilical scars after tummy tuck

+1

Sometimes after tummy tuck and umbilical scar will become red, raised or what we call hypertrophic.  Massage over time can be quite helpful and scar creams such as Scarguard and Mederma can often facilitate the process.  Other alternatives such as silicone-gel sheeting or steroid injections for stubborn scars are additional options.

Abdominoplasty scores take many months to completely remodel.

+1

The umbilical scar looks as it should several months after in abdominoplasty. Scar creams don't work. I personally think massage of the scar is a bad idea.

Is There Any Way to Get Rid if Scar Tissue Around Belly Button? (

+1

Thanks for your posting, and congratulations on what looks like a nice result. Unfortunately the photos is a bit too out of focus to see the details of the incision and scar. 

Best advice will come from your surgeon. There are numerous over the counter remedies, including Scarguard, Mederma, Kelocote, all of which seem to be helpful to some patients. Kenalog injections are the "gold standard", though not to say they always work. These must be administered in a physician's office. 

The scar will probably improved even with no attention--the peak of redness and thickness is between 6 and 12 weeks, and scars continue to mature over the course of a year. 

All the best.